LazyGirl
Cool Member

Lets see some native garden pictures!

My native garden landscaping is a real work-in-progress and I need some additional motivation. I would love to see people share pictures of their native plant landscapes. :flower:

If I can figure out how to upload images I will share my california fuschias, buckwheats, lupines, and currants. O:)

Thanks everyone and lets see some pretty native gardens! :clap:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your garden sounds wonderful. In much of the country it isn't spring yet and our gardens are looking wintry and uninspiring. I'm looking forward to posting some pics once spring finally comes! I grew up in Southern California, so for nostalgia sake, I plant some golden California poppies every year. I love them.

LazyGirl
Cool Member

Here are some photos... I took them during sunset so they are a little dark.

The sideyard where I planted penstemans and fuschia last fall among the roses
[img]https://deviantmethods.com/Tania/Native/Garden001.jpg[/img]

Kitty with the fuschia... :-()
[img]https://deviantmethods.com/Tania/Native/Garden017.jpg[/img]

One of the works in progress, we are still deciding what to plant on this section of the front yard. Around the perimeter the fall-seeded nemophila menziesii are getting ready to bloom...
[img]https://deviantmethods.com/Tania/Native/Garden019.jpg[/img]

Tomorrow's project (if it doesn't rain): plant some poppies! :mrgreen:
[img]https://deviantmethods.com/Tania/Native/Garden005.jpg[/img]

I'm really excited about this manzanita hybrid (arbutus marina), it will go in the ground tomorrow as well (pending weather): :D
[img]https://deviantmethods.com/Tania/Native/Garden022.jpg[/img]

Pretty currant flowers, but I don't know why this plant has some yellow leaves. The other currant gets less sun (and has less flowers) and doesn't have any yellow leaves. :?
[img]https://deviantmethods.com/Tania/Native/Garden003.jpg[/img]

A toyon I planted last fall, it has ~1" new growth.
[img]https://deviantmethods.com/Tania/Native/Garden013.jpg[/img]

Recently planted silver bush lupine - I love it! :-() Please forgive the styrofoam accident in the background... :oops:
[img]https://deviantmethods.com/Tania/Native/Garden011.jpg[/img]

That's all for now. I took pictures of the buckwheats but they didn't come out. If I can take more tomorrow I will post them.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I love you for what you have done. I too am trying to garden with the native plants here in MN. I am trying to grow as much sage as I can for sage honey on my little bee farm. Wanted to post a thread like this but you beat me to it so I'll have to upload my pics here. :bouncey: I like your style

LazyGirl
Cool Member

Thank you! I really will upload more pics this weekend. The nemophilia menszieii are blooming and are soooo pretty. Those little blue flowers match the old truck perfectly (so not intended but the colors match almost too well!). I also planted a small ceanothus tree and more annuals where the poppies went in.

I'm sad though since snails keep eating my annual lupines (succulentus). At least the silver lupines are still doing well. I guess the silver lupines aren't as tasty to the snails as the annuals... :roll:

LazyGirl
Cool Member

Sage - Thanks so much for the compliments. Since I'm not familiar with the MN native plants, are there a lot of sage options for you? I would so love to see your pics. :P

Speaking of sages, I recently planted some salvia spathacea (hummingbird sage) and mellifera (black sage)... for the bees and hummingbirds of course! I'm really hoping on attracting some mason bees but given my urban neighborhood, I'm not sure if I'll see any. :cool:

LazyGirl
Cool Member

I promised more pics, so here they are. I have more but I can't find the cable for the camera. :cry: So, the ones off my phone-camera will have to do.

Some lupines, bee plant, and sage seedlings enjoying the sun
[img]https://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/taniaza1/1236539456550.jpg[/img]

Baby blue eyes just before they burst out in bloom. This was taken 2 weeks ago and now the little plants are covered in these beautiful blue flowers.
[img]https://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/taniaza1/1236539215037.jpg[/img]

The newly planted front bed. This was also taken 2 weeks ago so things are a bit more filled in now. This is where the poppies, gilia capitata, buckwheat, etc, and the ceanothus tree went in.
[img]https://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/taniaza1/1236539115604.jpg[/img]

That's it for now! Once I find the camera cable I will be able to add more. :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Great plants and great photos too! The absolute BLUE of those flowers is amazing. What pollinators do they attract? I vaguely remember seeing somewhere (?) that insects/birds don't see the colors we do; they see infrared and ultraviolet as well as more direct heat indicators. (I have *got* to look that one up...)

Anyway, a true BLUE flower is a show-stopper in my little world. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

LazyGirl
Cool Member

I haven't spent that much time watching them so I don't know what kind of bugs they attract. Maybe its too early around here for bees... but I haven't seen any. :? Cynthia, do you or does anyone else know what time of year the bees show up in the bay area? :?: :?:

Here's an update of how boomiferous they are now. I love them! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
[img]https://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/taniaza1/1237940865747.jpg[/img]

And here's an update of the front newly planted area. The poppies didn't fare so well. My <non native but I still love them> bulbs are happily in bloom. There are also some coffeeberries that are patiently waiting for their turn to be planted. :flower:
[img]https://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/taniaza1/1237940994667.jpg[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The bees are visiting my rosemary and lavender. Not in force, but I saw some out there today when I chopped down my aphid-infested kale plants. I didn't prune either the rosemary or the lavender during our "winter" (late *and* short as it was...), so there are some early blooms on both.

The visitors are honeybees. I haven't seen any bumblebees or other bee types yet, nor dragonflies, yellow jackets, or wasps. I'm just as pleased *not* to see yellow jackets or wasps, to tell ya the truth.

There were a couple of red-tinged finches passing through on Sunday, as well as the bushtits and the usual LBLs (Little Brown Birds--I'm not very good at bird ID). Later on, I can usually count on seeing hummingbirds at my neighbor's vining plant (with fiery orange blooms), and then zzzzzoooommmming around, into and away from, my redwood tree. I think the hummingbirds must have a nest there.

Your baby blue blooms (hmmm I don't think I should try to say *that* phrase three times in a hurry! :lol: ) are tremendous. Were they planted from seed directly into the ground? If so, I may try them where the hollyhocks failed last year. It's out by the street and gets LOTS of sun.

"Bloomiferous"--terrific word! Thank you! :D

cynthia

LazyGirl
Cool Member

Thanks Cynthia! I think I got the "bloomiferous" word from the Annie's Annuals catalogue. You are lucky in being so close to them! :D

I planted the nemophila menziesii in the fall (Oct or Nov) directly in the ground. I put ~1" compost in there first and worked it in the first few inches then sprinkled the seeds around. I watered them a few times while the seeds were sprouting before the rains came, and a few times since then as well. That's it! Its also by the street and gets full sun.

I had also planted other annuals in the same area, but these were the ones that took off. They must be really easy to grow and I love them! :() :() I am hoping they will reseed themselves.

I haven't seen any bees around, but then I don't really have many other flowers other than the blue ones. The only other flying insects I have seen around lately look like small flies. :?:

We do have hummers, finches and warblers (which I help attract with feeders). I am still learning how to identify the birds. There is a flock of some small finch-sized brown birds that swarms one aphid infested tree a couple times a day. :lol:

Tania

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Those small flies are likely tachid flies; real garden good guys, who lay eggs on some bad guys and do light pollination to boot...

Cynthia, I know the wasps are a little scary but they do good works as well, even those mean, grumpy yellow jackets. They are usually more after pollen than nectar, but use both for energy while hunting. Just try and remember that when you see them; makes it a little more tolerable to know they are going out to hunt bad guys in your garden...

HG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Scott, I have an anaphylactic reaction to bee / wasp etc. stings and am allergic to the preservative in the epi-pens. I've been told that the next sting will be the last one and not to bother calling 911 except to take me to a hospital for official pronouncement.

I appreciate what these insects do, but I appreciate even MORE their doing it when I'm not so close...

Honeybees being non-aggressive when faced with tons of food, no problem, so I keep working out there. The others--wasps, hornets, yellow jackets--I have to move somewhere else or, better yet, just go back inside.

Cynthia

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Understood Cynthia; a life threatening situation is hardly to be looked at in a benificent light, no matter the silver linings. I'd likely feel exactly the same way...

HG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

LazyGirl (maybe you could think about a new descriptor??? no lazy person could work so hard!), I was weeding my MIL's garden in Palo Alto yesterday.

She lives in Palo Alto, which like your town is in Sunset Zone 15. Her California poppies have also not opened up yet, but they looked like they would open up in the next couple of days. Mine have been open for maybe a week? 10 days? and I'm not sure why mine are ahead of yours; I'd've thought it to be the other way around.

There was also very little bee activity in her yard, which accords with what you've been seeing in yours.

So it looks like this next week will see both poppies *and* increased bee / pollinator activity for you. :D

Cynthia

LazyGirl
Cool Member

Cynthia,

Sounds great! I actually saw quite a few insects this weekend. There were carpenter bees at the lilac tree, orange checkered-looking butterflies (that seemed to be on some sort of migrating mission) and some wasp-looking insects around. No mason bees though :| (at least from my limited observation experience).

I don't think my poppies are anywhere near blooming. I bought a six-pack at a nursery and am wondering if they don't transplant well. The roots were really crammed in there and all... :? After I transplanted them most of the leaves turned red then yellow, and they are just now sending out new leaves. I am hoping that they will send up blooms SOMETIME this spring! :roll:

Regarding the descriptor... I am lazy only regarding things that I DON'T want to do! (like organizing and chore-type duties) :-() Give me any excuse and I'll be outside puttering around the yard, playing in the mud. O:)

Tania

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The California poppies are the orange ones; they're never red or yellow. I think maybe you have Asian poppies, the ones with the incredible leaves? ...envy... I planted Hungarian breadseed poppies last year, and not a one ever came up. *sigh* Not then, and not this season, either.

My gardening neighbor down the street has some Asian poppies in the ground, and they're nowhere near blooming either, but the leaves are just incredibly detailed, large, drifting beautifully in the breeze as I walk by with the dogs...

Cynthia

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Knock on wood about the bees; as long as they are peddling imidicloprid for EVERY situation, our bees will be threatened...

And yes, I'm aware there is little documantation in support of that statement IN THE U.S. (where EPA has been blocking NRDC FOI requests to see the certification test data for years. Why?), but the European data was clear enough and they don't have lobbyists over there like we do here. Banned in France and Germany except by special license...

My Silphiums are pushing up finally, some of the Liatris squarrosa (var. nova angliae) frost heaved up but the corms still look good. My mountain mint is busting out, should be a good year for it, and the service berries are starting to break bud...

Natives Rule!

HG

jamiejoon
Newly Registered

Hi, I'm new here, thought I'd share my Pacific Coast Hybrid Irises ("Rincon") from this April. In the background is a native fern I gathered from a landslide, and on the left, barely visible, is a chocolate lily (Fritillaria affinis) I grew from wild-collected seed and a sword fern. I'll next post a picture of that knockout blooming. Cheers.

Not sure I am doing the photo thing right...can anyone tell me how to post a photo?

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Here's the link on how to post pics on this forum:

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724[/url]

Not sure if how I posted this link will get you there but I'll give it a try. :roll: :oops:

LazyGirl
Cool Member

Jamie - I wish I could see your pictures! As this post was my first time linking to pictures, I found it useful to keep using the "preview" button before submitting to make sure I got the text correct. The key is that you have to host your pictures elsewhere (upload them to photobucket or some other hosting website) and post the link to your images in this forum.

Hope that helps! I look forward to seeing your images. :D

Tania

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/FARMSUMMER2.jpg[/img]

in the red pots I have puple phalox but they have died down for the season. :)

Behind the tree is a hill with raspberry/ milkweed/ violets/ small unidentified yellow flowers same size as violets/ and these massive tree trunks on the ground. The tree trunks are covered in moss and mushrooms is so beautiful. I added fuschia to the ground here this year and they died as soon as the cold came. Humming pirds loved those plus this spot is one of the shadiest places and a rest stop for myself.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”