koiboy01

back from the dead

Hi,
Here are a series of photo's of my Escalonia which unfortunatly died, BUT having taken a large branch cutting 2/3 years earlier I was able to ,WELL TAKE A LOOK and see what I did.
https://koi-z-are-us.20m.com/esc01.htm
koiboy01
just added to my post following the comments of webmaster.
When you click on the link above to see the photo's just click on esc02,esc03,esc04 and so on to see on going project.
koiboy01
Last edited by koiboy01 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

webmaster
Site Admin

Watcha going to do with it?

koiboy01

Hi Webmaster,
To answer your post, I have added to my post above, after clicking on the link just follow esc02, esc03, esc04 and so on.
koiboy01

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Wow very nice. That is some great work. It must take a lot of courage to chop that tree in half like that but the result is well worth it.

Tom

alisios

my, oh my! Nice work! It was like watching operations on the Discovery channel!

The tree looks great - and you have much more courage than I - and skill :)

Keep us posted!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

koiboy01,

Well done, I look forward to seeing how this tree develops in the future. Thanks for posting the progression, I know how hard it is to stop what you're doing to get photos.

In Japan this type of work is known as Tanuki, a reference to a medium sized Canid, "Raccoon Dog" in English. This creature has a reputation of being a mischievous trickster and master of disguise. In the west this technique is commonly referred to as a Phoenix graft for obvious reasons.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATLarchTanuki%20page1.htm[/url]

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATTanukiProgression.htm[/url]

Norm

S.Reavis.P
Newly Registered

I like your maples and your wife's "blue lilies/flowers (I cant remember sorry...) in Acrylics" =)

Pamela2323
Newly Registered

Looking really good. I always wanted to have a bonsai but I'm afraid that it wouldn't grow the way I want it.

The Rookie

I'm considering trying a less ambitious phoenix graft next year. I just found a nice piece of dead/drift-wood I am going to use.

Do you have any current pictures of this tree? I"m really curious to see how this turned out.

Thanks-

Jason

koiboy01

Hi Jason,
I should be updating my website sometime next week and will be putting a photo taken the same time which will let you see how it is progressing.
koiboy01

Stormwatcher

So let me see if I got this right. You split the branch in half and glued each side to the dead trunk? This is what happened when I saw that picture: :eek: :P

That's awesome. And it turned out great!

koiboy01

Hi,
Yes, you have got it right. the branch was actually off the escalonia when it ws living and I first got it out of the ground the whole plant was to large so I cut off some branches and planted them as well as the main trunk.
koiboy01

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”