alisios

New Pine

Here's a picture of a pine I made last fall - It came from a box store nursery and I cut off about 12 branches and pinched off a lot of the needles -

Instead of putting it in the ground, or trying to put it in a box, I tried something a little different by building up around the roots..

The walls of this "pot" are made from sandstone pieces aligned in a circle. It was built up around the tree - this way, once it comes time to repot it, all I have to do is dismantle the stones...

I think the whole thing looks cool and little "mountainy" :)

The bottom of the pot was made from a terra cotta drip tray painted black and coated with schellac - holes were drilled into the bottom with a ceramic bit...

Of course this tree has a long way to go, and I'm glad to see it survive the winter. outside and completely unprotected...

[img]https://www.robertcory.com/webdata/pine.jpg[/img]

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

alisos,

Thats a nice tree you have that seems to have a bright future.

Do you know what species of pine it is?

If it were mine, I would feed it well and let it grow for a couple years to thicken the trunk more before any styling is done. During that time I would start to select which branches I would keep and which I would leave as sacrifices or possible jins. I might shorten it a little bit and I would definitely thin out the branches but not yet. What kind of nebari does it have?

Gnome, maybe you can make a virt of this one? I see a nice tree in there but I don't have the means to make a virt.

Good luck with it and update often!

Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

alisios,

I agree with Tom that you should not do anything with this tree this year. I have had poor results working with Pines so far, my seedlings excepted. This is probably due to my wanting to do too much too soon, like forcing it into a small pot right away. :wink: This first year will be crucial, I hope it works out for you.

Norm

alisios

constantstaticx3 wrote:alisos,

Thats a nice tree you have that seems to have a bright future.

Good luck with it and update often!
Thanks Tom! You're always so positive! I'm not sure what species it is as I didn't keep the info :( It was one of the those "christmas" trees HD sells at the holidays...it doesn't look like it did when I bought it...
Gnome wrote: I agree with Tom that you should not do anything with this tree this year.
I won't do anything else to it for a while...thanks again peeps!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

alisios,
I'm not sure what species it is as I didn't keep the info Sad It was one of the those "christmas" trees HD sells at the holidays...it doesn't look like it did when I bought it...
By any chance did it look like this?
[img]https://www.pridescorner.com/site_images/speciial/christmas/dwarfalbertaspruce/dwarfAlbertaSpruceConica2g_lg.jpg[/img]

I ask because I often see Dwarf Alberta Spruce sold as novelty Christmas trees in my area. Look closely at the needles. Are they arranged in bundles of 2, 3 or 5 or are they solitary? If they are arranged singly you probably have a Spruce not a Pine.
[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATPiceaPruningstylingandwiring.htm[/url]

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I was thinking the same thing.

alisios

Gnome -

I know it wasn't a dwarf spruce - My mother got one of those for a present this year...

The label definitely said a pine of some sort - I made a point to tell myself I'd remember the species, but, well, that didn't work... :lol:

I also had bought 2 aleppo pine which still have those darned red bows on them!

Anyway - Here's a closer picture of the needles of the above tree...

[img]https://www.robertcory.com/webdata/pineleaves.jpg[/img]

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

That looks like some kind of spruce to me. Could it possibly be a bristlecone pine? If you bought the tree from a company that doesn't specialize in bonsai, then it is very possible that they put the wrong identification on it.
Thanks Tom! You're always so positive!
I think it's important to be positive all the time, especially with newcomers to bonsai. I don't believe anything positive can come from a negative comment. This art can be very overwhelming and its important to encourage anyone who shows interest.

Tom

sean f
Newly Registered

did you coat the inside of that pot with shellack?..if so you could have root rot problems,thats why bonsai pots are always unglazed inside ,the pot will absorb excess water.

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Sean,

That is not true. The only way it could absorb excess water is if it's sitting in a puddle of water and thats true for any pot. Bonsai pots are made to look decorative other than that there is no difference from any other pot. I'm not sure where you got this information from.

Tom

kdodds
Greener Thumb

It's not totally untrue, though. It's not that the pot absorbs the water, it's more that a glazed interior prevents evaporation and drainage and can led to excess moisture in the soil and, as a result, an increased chance of root rot. Now, I have not actually tried this to prove it, but all of the better bonsai books available that detail why pots with a glazed interior should not be used give this as the reason.

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I posted about this same topic on BC and there were mixed answers. But there was one that was very convincing to me. He said that and unglazed pot did not absorb moisture and the only reason most pots aren't glazed on the inside is because the potters try to save money by not using up the glaze for something that won't be seen. It is good however to not have glaze on the inside because the roots can use the sides of the pot to anchor themselves but if you wire it in this does not matter.

Tom

rondo769
Cool Member

I see trees like that at lowes all the time,so it is possable to buy one of these trees and make it into a bonsai tree?!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

rondo769,

I'm not sure if it was ever determined what species this tree is but beware purchasing Spruce trees. Some look like the would make excellent bonsai (Dwarf Alberta Spruce) but the branches are extremely flexible and are very difficult to wire into position. It could take years of training in order to lower the upright branches. There are better choices for your early attempts.

Norm

sharon333
Newly Registered

I would have to agree. They are a heartier then most pines.

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”