ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:ynot,

if I were to go that route (with the two jinned braches), would you suggest jinning them now, or waiting a while for the branches to thicken.

Joe
Which branches do your refer to 'waiting for'...?

The ones you are considering jinning? {If you do mean these, The real question is: Are they as thick as you require to effectively work them {Stripping, Carving, De-burring, Sanding etc...}

...Or other ones?

I imagine you probably won't be attempting it, But I thought you might find [url=https://internetbonsaiclub.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=133&topic=21294.0]this[/url] interesting.
[Check out the quality of his wiring also 8), Keep in mind he trained this tree for twelve years before he was ready to do this.

Actually I think I will put that link in the inspiration thread just as a peek behind the 'magic curtain' of bonsai...lol.

How truly transcendental and Zen bonsai is...:roll: [NOT! ~ It's illusion :lol:]

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

This is an update on this juniper, which recovered nicely from the trimming and repotting I gave it. I wired it to be in a cascade style, and this is what it looks like as of now.

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/juniperedit.jpg[/img]

It's a little hard to tell, but the two branches I wired were all new growth when I wired them, and now they're starting to turn brown and harden. The wire had been on there probably about a month now. Thoughts?

Joe

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

The tree looks healthy which is good but about the wiring. That wire looks way too thin to be doing anything at all, maybe at the tips of the branches but other than that its a waste. You might want to invest in some thicker gage wire to do the job. That bottom branch seems a bit straight and thicker wire will do the job to give it more movement.

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Thanks for the comments Tom,

You're talking about the thick brown branches at the top right? If so, I don't intend to wire them into place, I have the thicker wire, but I can't really bend the branches too much, although I see what you mean about the bottom branch. I'll see what I can do. I just put the thin wire there to anchor the wire from further down the branch. As for the new growth, that wire held everything in place.

Joe

koiboy01

Hi,
I would definitly go for a cascade.
koiboy01

alisios

I want to see the other trees behind the juniper! :wink:

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I'm going to post end of the season pics probably soon (since my tress are pretty much done growing), but some of the tree are on the site already. I'll post the links later tonight, I have to run right now.

Joe

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Wow! Has it really been 3 years since I posted on this thread. Time flies...

Sorry everyone who knows me for my absence for quite some time, but here's a pic of this tree a few weeks ago after a wiring and pruning I did.

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/CIMG1807.jpg[/img]

I'm thinking of removing the foliage pad behind the second one from the bottom on the front branch (also the fourth one you see from the bottom). The tree seems too busy, but I'm going to wait a bit, it's easier to cut a branch off than regrow a new one :D Thoughts?

Joe

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joe,

Welcome back. I looks as though your tree is doing well.
I'm thinking of removing the foliage pad behind the second one from the bottom on the front branch (also the fourth one you see from the bottom). The tree seems too busy,
Have you given any thought to separating the two branches laterally? They seem to be almost one on top of the other and are competing. It may be that the picture is not giving me a true perspective.
but I'm going to wait a bit, it's easier to cut a branch off than regrow a new one
Don't I know it. :lol:

Norm

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I actually just thought of that idea earlier today, maybe wiring the one in the back downwards instead of cutting it off.

Joe

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Hello all,

I'm looking aroun$d this forum, and I see a lot of names I don't recognize, so for those of you who don't know me, my name is Joe, and I used to post on this forum a few years back. For those who do know me, I'm back after another year's absence, and I think I will be on more nowadays. I figured I'd post an update on this cascade I have going here. I lost the bottom foliage pad (it died off I'm not sure why), but I think that worked out for the better, as I was able to wire the other one down more, and create some more separation between the existing foliage pads. Also, the second to bottom branch was too straight, so I wired some shape into it. I think the lower three pads are coming in nicely, I'm just unsure what direction I'm going to take with the upper pad(s). There are actually three, one is coming towards the camera,one away, and one is 'parallel' to the camera (I know its a bit confusing). Any thoughts on a future direction/the overall progress?

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/CIMG2683.jpg[/img]

Joe

P.S. Next year I plan on repotting it into a cascade pot at more of an angle, and possibly doing a RoR planting at some point in the future. Not sure about that yet though.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joe,

Glad to see you back on the board. Are you fertilizing the tree regularly? I ask because it does not appear to be very 'vibrant'. Perhaps it's just the picture but it seems to be struggling a bit. I forget your particulars and the site you have available for your trees. A little more sun perhaps?

Norm

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Norm,

it was a bit overcast that day, but your right, it isn't that vibrant, I actually have neglected to fertilize my tress I'm going to start (as soon as I find the damn fertilizer...) this week.

Joe

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”