JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Japanese Juniper

I was in home depot and got this for $5 US. Sorry, I don't have a before picture (slipped my mind completely...still trying to figure out how), but this is what is left. I'm not sure where I want to take it, and any suggestions would be great. If you can't tell, the upper left hand branch splits into two branches, onw to the left as you see, and the other one is growing into the picture (towards the back of the tree). Any suggestions would be great.

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/junionline.jpg[/img]

I was originally going to leave the bottom branch as a sacrifice, but I kind of like it there.

I'll try to get some more angles and pics up later

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

My first impression... {Given that I have no idea of the size of this though I like the trunk movement.} Shohin.
I was originally going to leave the bottom branch as a sacrifice, but I kind of like it there.
...So... You were going to leave it, But now your...going to leave it. :?

IMO that #1 branch has to go as it appears you are flirting with reverse taper at that spot already. I honestly have a difficult time seeing a top for this that would flow [Without a lot of work & I don't think that would maximize this trunks potential] with that #1 branch intact.

Considering the current budding I would lose the vast majority of the top and start on the primary branching.

You have options, Is there any obviously superior front wrt Nebari? Or is this the front?
I'll try to get some more angles and pics up later
Yes, Please do.

ynot
Last edited by ynot on Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarian

what styles do you have in mind

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

IMO that #1 branch has to go as it appears you are flirting with reverse taper at that spot already.
which do you mean by number one? the second lowest on the right? Or the one above it?

{Given that I have no idea of the size of this though I like the trunk movement.}
I like the trunk as well. I'll post exact measurements with pics later, but it's not that tall, maybe no higher than 6 inches form soil to apex.
You have options, Is there any obviously superior front wrt Nebari? Or is this the front?
This is the front as far as I can see, going by nebari, there really is no superior front.

More to come later

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

IMO that #1 branch has to go as it appears you are flirting with reverse taper at that spot already.
JoeLewko wrote: which do you mean by number one? the second lowest on the right? Or the one above it?
:?

Second?...LOL.

Neither, My comment referred to the quote that proceeded it.

Start at the bottom and go up, I leave the math up to you.

Ok, It is about as tall as a dollar bill. That's all I need to know.

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Second?...LOL.
Haha wow...just realized how dumb that was on my part... :oops:

Thanks for the comments

Joe

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

just some more angles. I took eash "side" starting with the front (not shown see above post), and rotating counter clockwise.

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/bonsaijuni2007.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/bonsaijuni2006.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/bonsaijuni2005.jpg[/img]

The height form soil to the highest point if about 2.5 in. The hight from the soil to the apex is about 2.25 in. (The branch curves above the apex at the top of the trunk).

Joe

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Lots of possibilities with this one. I see a cascade if you plant it at a slightly different angle and cut off a couple other branches.

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

Sorry, I don't have a before picture (slipped my mind completely...still trying to figure out how), but this is what is left.
[The vertical aspect of the photos makes giving styling ideas difficult btw, But peering down on it caused this question...:lol:]

Since I am not seeing any wounds on the top of the tree in the pictures... I have to ask what it is that: You don't have a picture of 'before'?

I am a bit confused by that comment

:shock: You didn't prune the foliage off of the tree near the trunk [And just leave the end foliage] by any chance?

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Sorry, I didn't include that it was stock when I bought it. And yes, I did cut some of the foliage off near the trunk, and leave then end foliage. Partly because I needed to remove a lot of it to see the branches. Junipers backbud (don't they?) so the foliage should grow back...Besides,there were other branches, off of the main trunk so in terms of foliage off of the main trunk, there wasn't that much. (if that made sense).

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:Sorry, I didn't include that it was stock when I bought it.
That's obvious.
And yes, I did cut some of the foliage off near the trunk, and leave then end foliage. Partly because I needed to remove a lot of it to see the branches.
I suspected you did this.

Ok, 'a lot of it' is one thing ~ This is how far you had to go to see :lol:, Looks more like 'all of it'. What was the other reason?

Joe you went about this backwards, Starting here:
I'm not sure where I want to take it
By backwards I mean that when you don't know where you want to take it [stylistically] all of the branches have equal value and that is no time to start cutting because mistakes take a long time to fix you know. Plan more - Cut less :P ;).
Junipers backbud (don't they?) so the foliage should grow back...
I admit I don't understand this at all.
If your going to grow it back... What is the rationale behind cutting it all off in the first place?
Besides,there were other branches, off of the main trunk so in terms of foliage off of the main trunk, there wasn't that much. (if that made sense).
You misunderstand what I am talking about.
My concern was not about survival due to the amount of foliage removed, But with respect to the location and usefulness of what you removed VS what you kept. [Again not having a plan comes into play...]

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Alright so lack of planning is an issue here, but I think I have a plan now. I posted this on Bonsaitalk as well (to get some ideas, I mean besides you and a handful of others, there really isn't anyone else offering insight, bonsaitalk seems like a larger forum), and I got a few ideas, one I like. I lost the bottom number one branch as you suggested. Then, I jin the number 2 branch. The one above that will be the main branch as a cascade, and the branch on the left will be jinned as well. What do you think of this direction?
Personally I like the sound of it, I've always wanted to do a jin and a cascade, so this is the perfect chance.

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

Alright so lack of planning is an issue here, but I think I have a plan now.
Yes, I saw it posted there as well and the most important thing posted is relevant to more than just this tree:
tachigi wrote: This time think about the design before you cut, explore your possibilities.
I hope you take seriously their comments about the boxwood also. [Is that picture coming? In the other thread.]
I posted this on Bonsaitalk as well (to get some ideas, I mean besides you and a handful of others, there really isn't anyone else offering insight, bonsaitalk seems like a larger forum, and I got a few ideas, one I like.
This is true though insight can come from research also, [Both books and online] It is not anyone else's responsibility. Having been a member there for over 10 months you are well aware of what a massive resource it is and could be [& I hope you are] reading much more than the list of stolen bonsai ...You know what I mean?:P ;)
I lost the bottom number one branch as you suggested. Then, I jin the number 2 branch. The one above that will be the main branch as a cascade, and the branch on the left will be jinned as well. What do you think of this direction?
Personally I like the sound of it, I've always wanted to do a jin and a cascade, so this is the perfect chance.
Yes, Tom mentioned the cascade here also but you did not recognize the possibilities, It is one option to consider certainly.

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

reading much more than the list of stolen bonsai ...You know what I mean?
Don't worry, I am. As well as looking at the galleries. They have a large amount of articles as well.

[Is that picture coming? In the other thread.]
I'll have it up tonight

Joe

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

ynot,

if I were to go that route (with the two jinned braches), would you suggest jinning them now, or waiting a while for the branches to thicken.

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:ynot,

if I were to go that route (with the two jinned braches), would you suggest jinning them now, or waiting a while for the branches to thicken.

Joe
Which branches do your refer to 'waiting for'...?

The ones you are considering jinning? {If you do mean these, The real question is: Are they as thick as you require to effectively work them {Stripping, Carving, De-burring, Sanding etc...}

...Or other ones?

I imagine you probably won't be attempting it, But I thought you might find [url=https://internetbonsaiclub.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=133&topic=21294.0]this[/url] interesting.
[Check out the quality of his wiring also 8), Keep in mind he trained this tree for twelve years before he was ready to do this.

Actually I think I will put that link in the inspiration thread just as a peek behind the 'magic curtain' of bonsai...lol.

How truly transcendental and Zen bonsai is...:roll: [NOT! ~ It's illusion :lol:]

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

This is an update on this juniper, which recovered nicely from the trimming and repotting I gave it. I wired it to be in a cascade style, and this is what it looks like as of now.

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/juniperedit.jpg[/img]

It's a little hard to tell, but the two branches I wired were all new growth when I wired them, and now they're starting to turn brown and harden. The wire had been on there probably about a month now. Thoughts?

Joe

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

The tree looks healthy which is good but about the wiring. That wire looks way too thin to be doing anything at all, maybe at the tips of the branches but other than that its a waste. You might want to invest in some thicker gage wire to do the job. That bottom branch seems a bit straight and thicker wire will do the job to give it more movement.

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Thanks for the comments Tom,

You're talking about the thick brown branches at the top right? If so, I don't intend to wire them into place, I have the thicker wire, but I can't really bend the branches too much, although I see what you mean about the bottom branch. I'll see what I can do. I just put the thin wire there to anchor the wire from further down the branch. As for the new growth, that wire held everything in place.

Joe

koiboy01

Hi,
I would definitly go for a cascade.
koiboy01

alisios

I want to see the other trees behind the juniper! :wink:

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I'm going to post end of the season pics probably soon (since my tress are pretty much done growing), but some of the tree are on the site already. I'll post the links later tonight, I have to run right now.

Joe

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Wow! Has it really been 3 years since I posted on this thread. Time flies...

Sorry everyone who knows me for my absence for quite some time, but here's a pic of this tree a few weeks ago after a wiring and pruning I did.

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/CIMG1807.jpg[/img]

I'm thinking of removing the foliage pad behind the second one from the bottom on the front branch (also the fourth one you see from the bottom). The tree seems too busy, but I'm going to wait a bit, it's easier to cut a branch off than regrow a new one :D Thoughts?

Joe

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joe,

Welcome back. I looks as though your tree is doing well.
I'm thinking of removing the foliage pad behind the second one from the bottom on the front branch (also the fourth one you see from the bottom). The tree seems too busy,
Have you given any thought to separating the two branches laterally? They seem to be almost one on top of the other and are competing. It may be that the picture is not giving me a true perspective.
but I'm going to wait a bit, it's easier to cut a branch off than regrow a new one
Don't I know it. :lol:

Norm

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I actually just thought of that idea earlier today, maybe wiring the one in the back downwards instead of cutting it off.

Joe

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Hello all,

I'm looking aroun$d this forum, and I see a lot of names I don't recognize, so for those of you who don't know me, my name is Joe, and I used to post on this forum a few years back. For those who do know me, I'm back after another year's absence, and I think I will be on more nowadays. I figured I'd post an update on this cascade I have going here. I lost the bottom foliage pad (it died off I'm not sure why), but I think that worked out for the better, as I was able to wire the other one down more, and create some more separation between the existing foliage pads. Also, the second to bottom branch was too straight, so I wired some shape into it. I think the lower three pads are coming in nicely, I'm just unsure what direction I'm going to take with the upper pad(s). There are actually three, one is coming towards the camera,one away, and one is 'parallel' to the camera (I know its a bit confusing). Any thoughts on a future direction/the overall progress?

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/CIMG2683.jpg[/img]

Joe

P.S. Next year I plan on repotting it into a cascade pot at more of an angle, and possibly doing a RoR planting at some point in the future. Not sure about that yet though.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joe,

Glad to see you back on the board. Are you fertilizing the tree regularly? I ask because it does not appear to be very 'vibrant'. Perhaps it's just the picture but it seems to be struggling a bit. I forget your particulars and the site you have available for your trees. A little more sun perhaps?

Norm

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Norm,

it was a bit overcast that day, but your right, it isn't that vibrant, I actually have neglected to fertilize my tress I'm going to start (as soon as I find the damn fertilizer...) this week.

Joe

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”