LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Longwood Gardens - Bonsai Pics

Hello Everybody,

Here are a few Bonsai photographs from my trip to Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania last weekend. (Sorry the quality and size of pics is not better :roll: ). Hope you enjoy... :D ...

[url=https://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crapemyrtleps6.jpg][img]https://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6771/crapemyrtleps6.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dwarfgardenjapanesejuniwx9.jpg][img]https://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5082/dwarfgardenjapanesejuniwx9.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ginkgobj4.jpg][img]https://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2520/ginkgobj4.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=japanesezelkovaforestpv3.jpg][img]https://img110.imageshack.us/img110/4293/japanesezelkovaforestpv3.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=longwoodsbonsaiqe1.jpg][img]https://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2750/longwoodsbonsaiqe1.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sawarafalsecypressay9.jpg][img]https://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2193/sawarafalsecypressay9.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tridentmaplebj3.jpg][img]https://img110.imageshack.us/img110/3839/tridentmaplebj3.th.jpg[/img][/url]

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Nice pics. Longwood gardens has everything. I especially like the conservatory with its different rooms and different syles of gardens, simply AMAZING.

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

LB,

Thanks man :!:

Any favorites out of the pics posted?

I have a couple but I will wait to say :P 8) ...

You enjoyed the gardens I take it? And your GF tolerated your dancing? :P ;)
ynot

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

ynot and constantstaticx3,

Thanks for your comments! Glad you like the pictures! :D
Nice pics. Longwood gardens has everything. I especially like the conservatory with its different rooms and different syles of gardens, simply AMAZING.
Ya, indeed very cool stuff going on there. Each room was incredible in its own right. I can't wait to go back later in the spring and see the entire grounds in full bloom. I'm sure it's quite impressive.
Any favorites out of the pics posted?
Boy oh boy, tough question to answer because they were all pretty cool trees. I thought the Ginkgo was very interesting. We liked the Zelkova forest a lot. Up close it was very impressive, :shock: :) but I don't think it transferred as well to photo :cry:. Overall, I think I'd have to say the broom style Trident Maple is my favorite.

Very curious to know which ones are your favorites and why! :wink: :P
You enjoyed the gardens I take it?
The gardens are absolutely stunning! :wink: :D :twisted: :shock: :P :D
And your GF tolerated your dancing?
Welp. For a while. But she left me there. I'm still there. I now live in the rainforest room in a hammock under a couple of palm trees. I just snuck out for a minute to post a few posts. :wink: hehe... right right...

Peace,
- LB

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I would have to say the zelkova forest is my favorite but its hard to choose. I hope to go back this year. I haven't been in a few years and this time I would like to go in the spring time. We went a little early in the year last time.

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

LiddleBuddha wrote: Very curious to know which ones are your favorites and why! :wink: :P
First off: Good call on the hammock! [img]https://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/big/2/img/011.gif[/img] ;)

Favorites...

Well, It is really tough to pass on a Massively trunked flowering Wisteria, And I do like the Mother-Daughter Chamaecyparis.

...In the end, I have to go with the Zelkova Group also {I am curuois, How tall is it?- Guestimate}.

I have to admit I would be sorely tempted to reduce it's height by about 2/3 though as I feel a shorter stature would make the larger trunks seem more powerful. {Maybe a bit further to leave room to induce some taper} Get some branches going, Build a new apex and your good to go! 8)..:lol:

Now....How do I get it to my house...:twisted: ;)

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I'm partial to the cascading juniper...the cypress is nice as well, but I think the rock, as well as the thick trunk on the cascade make it my favorite.

All this makes me want to go see the bonsai display at the Brooklyn Botanic Garderns. Last time I went there expecting to see bonsai, but they were using the room for that flower that only blooms once like every 7 years or something (I think it's nicknamed corpse flower :?: ). If I go again, I'll be sure to take plently of pics.

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Ynot, I also think you could just add more trees around the back, look at prof. Amy Liang's forests and notice hers are that tall. Tough to say. I think shortening them would make it look less like a forest...but thats just me.

I have to say the juniper is my least favorite. I don't like the way the cascading branch is at an angle to the main tree, its just not pleasing to my eye. Still a nice tree, its just not for me.

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote:Ynot, I also think you could just add more trees around the back, look at prof. Amy Liang's forests and notice hers are that tall. Tough to say. I think shortening them would make it look less like a forest...but thats just me.
That is an excellent observation, + if you put the shorter skinnier trees in the back [They are already but I simply mean more of them.] you can achieve a 'forced perspective' as the human eye/brain naturally perceives smaller things to be farther away.
This increases the apparent depth of the pot [From front to back].

Or, A bigger pot [w/ more trees] would help this composition, These trees just seem a bit too tall for the width of the pot to my eye.
constantstaticx3 wrote:I have to say the juniper is my least favorite. I don't like the way the cascading branch is at an angle to the main tree, its just not pleasing to my eye. Still a nice tree, its just not for me.

Tom
I agree, That branch makes me think the painter slipped and smeared the picture.
I hate the blocky formal pot as it strikes me as incongruous with the soft rounded foliage pads. I think this tree would be better served with some judicious pinching to thin out the foliage and open up the structure. That alone would be a huge improvement IMO, It would also [possibly] come closer to matching the masculinity of the pot.

Its a shame really as I think this could be a striking tree [As much as I am not a huge fan of cascades.]

Having looked at this tree a while, It appears that it is primarily adult foliage [Which is impressive-If it is a Juni, The bark looks like it to my eye]

Joe,

Putting the rock aside, Can you expand a bit on what appeals to you about this tree.
I like to hear differing opinions about trees, Teach me to like this tree ;) :lol:.

ynot

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Yea the juniper looks more like a hedge than a bonsai to me. I don't mind the pot, the tree just needs some fine tuning. I think it should be thinned out also and flatten out the cascading branch so it's pretty much level with the rim of the pot. Although a kind of squaty round pot could help also, just a little contradiction of myself :wink: .

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

you guys are starting to convince me that the cascade is not a good thing. What really appealed to me though was the main trunk. I think it has a good shape, and it thick, and I think this tree gives the appearance of old age very well. (I am also partial to cascade styles as well...I've always wanted to do one, and might try it this season).

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Hi All...

Arrgh.. I just wrote a reply to your posts and I think my session timed out and I lost the entire post. :evil: :cry:

This thread has blown up a bit since I last checked in! :P Many humble bows to you all. :wink: :D Thanks for your great replies, comments, opinions, thoughts, etc...

Unfortunately I don't have enough time at the moment to re-type everything, but I will as soon as possible. In the meantime I wanted to acknowledge all your great comments!

More typing soon I hope.

Best,
- LB

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Hey Everyone,

Okay, I'm gonna try this again. Here goes...
constantstaticx3 said:
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:33 pm --
I would have to say the zelkova forest is my favorite but its hard to choose. I hope to go back this year. I haven't been in a few years and this time I would like to go in the spring time. We went a little early in the year last time.
Nice!.. :D Yeah, I think we went a little early. I hope you get to go back again soon! I think I'd like to try to go in late May when everything's poppin! We were there for a few hours, but I think with nicer weather and everything in full bloom, we could probably camp out for almost an entire day! :P
ynot said:
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:52 am --
First off: Good call on the hammock!
Thanks man! Now if I can only find an outlet to plug in a blender so I can mix up some margaritas! :wink: :twisted: :D
Well, It is really tough to pass on a Massively trunked flowering Wisteria...
That one is very nice indeed. I actually have a couple questions about Wisteria cuttings, (Oh boy! :twisted: :wink: . But I'll start another thread on that one when I can.)
...In the end, I have to go with the Zelkova Group also {I am curuois, How tall is it?- Guestimate}.
Right on!.. The Zelkova Group was no taller than 24". I think it was probably in the 20" range give or take a little.
Now....How do I get it to my house...
I already called FedEx and they'll be at my hammock to pick it up today. You should have it by tomorrow! :wink: :twisted: :P (Hey, can't hurt to dream right!)
JoeLewko said:
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:26 am --
All this makes me want to go see the bonsai display at the Brooklyn Botanic Garderns.
Awesome! Thanks for reminding me about the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens :D . My mom took my sibs and me there when we were kids. I don't remember much but that I really liked it there. I'd like to go back very soon.

Aiight... I must boogie. Hopefully more typing later. Peace for now!

Best,
- LB

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

you guys are starting to convince me that the cascade is not a good thing. What really appealed to me though was the main trunk. I think it has a good shape, and it thick, and I think this tree gives the appearance of old age very well. (I am also partial to cascade styles as well...I've always wanted to do one, and might try it this season).
Please don't get us wrong we are just critiqueing it a bit. Its still a nice tree and I'm sure it took a long time to create but we think something should be done to make it even more impressive.

I like the semi cascades rather than the full ones. The full ones always seem to need a higher stand so the tree doesn't hit the ground. I fell all you should need is a pot.

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote:
Please don't get us wrong we are just critiqueing it a bit. Its still a nice tree and I'm sure it took a long time to create but we think something should be done to make it even more impressive.

I like the semi cascades rather than the full ones. The full ones always seem to need a higher stand so the tree doesn't hit the ground. I fell all you should need is a pot.

Tom
I can see where you're coming from. someitmes it's mor eof a pain than anything to have a branch hang to low. in fact, there was this tree I 'inherited', not sure if you saw it, the thread is here
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3266
But this was given to its previous owner with the cascade branch hanging wya below the pot, and the previous owner cut it, because he always had to keep it on the edge of his bench, or wherever.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Joe,

Tom is exactly right. Critiquing is simply a way of assessing a trees good points and bad points and trying to find ways to improve what your looking at. By definition it is subjective and can be 'nit picky'. :P ;)
When you explore what you like/dislike about a piece w/ someone else you may run across a perspective/idea/thought that you had not considered, This helps bring you to a more thorough understanding of how you feel about the work in question.[IE:Like the little exchange Tom and I had, It can go far far far far deeper- But need not.]
I think it has a good shape, and it thick, and I think this tree gives the appearance of old age very well.
Ok, but consider how much of the trunk is hidden from view. Wouldn't you like to see more of it?

Critique a bit and tell us how you would improve this tree.:) Here's a question for you: What are this trees weak points? [Where is there room for improvement?]

Also Joe I said it before and I'll say it again about the tree in the link you posted, [So did BT}: That 'Dalek' Looking branch :shock: has to go...Please!

LB,
Fed Ed...is a no show :( :cry: :( ..;) But I sent you a honda generator via UPS..:lol: 8)

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

ok well take the cascade branch. See how it isn't "in line" with the canopy of the tree. I think it would look better if it was just flush with the rest of the tree. that I think would help 'soften' the tree. As tom said, it seems at an angle to the tree right now, if everythign was aligned, maybe it would seem more like one tree.

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:ok well take the cascade branch. See how it isn't "in line" with the canopy of the tree. I think it would look better if it was just flush with the rest of the tree. that I think would help 'soften' the tree. As tom said, it seems at an angle to the tree right now, if everythign was aligned, maybe it would seem more like one tree.
Alright Joe 8),

Thanks for jumping in with that :D.

See, I think this tree needs to go in the other direction.

IMO, 'soft' doesn't reflect the circumstances that cause cascading trees in nature in the first place.
They often naturally occur in harsh environments.
IE: In ravines over water where they end up twisting and searching for moisture, Or on cliffsides where the shade forces them to stretch for the light. Or a combination of factors.

All in such an extreme manner that over time they partially overcome their natural tendencies to grow upwards.

Just a bit about how I think about it..:)

ynot

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I would either go ynots way or do what Joe said and move that branch up so its level with the pot and make it a semi cascade. I would still thin out the foliage a bit so you can see the branching. It still looks a bit like a hedge to me.

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote:I would either go ynots way or do what Joe said and move that branch up so its level with the pot and make it a semi cascade. I would still thin out the foliage a bit so you can see the branching. It still looks a bit like a hedge to me.

Tom
yes, thinning would be benifical, I think more so for the cascade part, it looks like a green, well slab (maybe)..not sure if that's the right word. I think the top is fine though, I can see the branch structure well.

please excuse any poor spelling/typos, my hands are cold, I was just outside examining my boxwood, which is cold and soaking wet :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote: I can see the branch structure well.
Then you have better eyes than I do.

please excuse any poor spelling/typos, my hands are cold, I was just outside examining my boxwood, which is cold and soaking wet :D
8) No pain, No gain :P ;) :lol:

ynot

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Hello everyone,

Sorry I haven't been able to post much lately...

Wow! It's cool to see how this thread developed and evolved! Wish I had more commentary to offer about everything. But I'm so new to it all that I've really just enjoyed sitting back and reading everyone's thoughts, critiques and opinions.
LB,
Fed Ed...is a no show .. But I sent you a honda generator via UPS..
Sweet! Thanks man! Margaritas for everyone!

:wink: - LB

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”