constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Flowering quince

I just, today, bought a flowering quince and a few other trees at the philadelphia flower show and I couldn't wait to start styling so I started today.
The quince was in such a shape that suggested a windswept syle but I have never done one before, here it is.
[url=https://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01338oq9.jpg][img]https://img170.imageshack.us/img170/760/dsc01338oq9.th.jpg[/img][/url]
I am unsure if the branches should continue to get shorter as they go up. Ive tried many different positions and this is the best I could get it and it looks ok. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried this style before and could give me some suggestions, thanks.

Tom

EDIT: Sorry, did I should I have posted this in the forum?

rjj

Hi Tom

Nice plant. It all comes down to what you want to do with it. Normally something this young would be allowed to grow out for a few years before any styling considerations are made, but nothing is written in stone. :D

It's not a good idea to wire something and then start moving the branches around figuring out where you want them. You can damage the cambium layer and lose or damage the branches to the point of making them unusable, especially ones as small as yours. I would recommend drawing on paper different shapes or just visualizing in your mind what it may look like.

Have fun with it.

randy

ynot
Greener Thumb

Tom,

Good points here from Randy wrt growing out younger material and being cautious of damaging your tree due to re-positioning.

It is always better to know where your going with a branch, Sketching [Or PSP for those of us who cannot draw ;)] can be extremely useful to help visualize the options available.

I am sure Gnome can move this to the forum easily if you wish.

ynot

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Yea I probobly should have thought it trough before I started but they were actualy quite close to that position before the wireing, I bought it for that reason, and also I have never tried a quince before and I noticed how springy the branches are, I could probably twist them around in circles if I wanted. Randy thanks for that info I've never thought of damaging the cambium like that, but now I do.

Also, the tree is about 5 inches tall and about a foot wide and depending on the base, which may be an inch below the soil, I may just keep it this size.

So far from what I've read about this species, I found that after the intitial spring growth it should be pruned so I am going to prune back the older wood to some new shoots closer to the trunk to get some taper. I'm also going to do some root work once I get my soil ingrediants and it will probably go into a slightly larger pot for this season.

ynot, I just wasn't sure if this shoud be here or in the forum so if you think it should be move then its up to you.

Thanks for the input and tips.

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote: ynot, I just wasn't sure if this shoud be here or in the forum so if you think it should be move then its up to you.
Tom
:shock: :shock: Oh no it's not...That's not in my bag of tricks, Gnome waves that magic wand. ;) I don't have any magical powers around this place my man..:razz: :lol:.

My opinion is that yeah it would most likely get more traffic in the forum as opposed to the gallery though.

ynot

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

yea that was what I meant, I was really just asking your opinion.

Tom
Last edited by constantstaticx3 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ynot
Greener Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote:yea that was what I meant, I was really just asking your opinion.

Tom
No problem whatsoever,

ynot

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Just an update here. Well I cut the branches back a bit and decided to attempt my fisrt root over rock and well lets just say it wasn't successful. Yes it has passed. I believe it was just too much stress for it to handle, I really had to work the roots loose and this took awhile. I used plastic rap to secure the roots to the rock, this may also have cause root rot, and potted it up. There weren't too many roots left but I was feeling optimistic. THe tree kept its current foliage for a while but never started to grow and just recently shriveled up and died.

Well another lesson learned and next time I think I will use some sting to attach it to the rock.

O and the rock is still alive and kicking :wink: :D :D 8) .

Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,
lets just say it wasn't successful. Yes it has passed.
Sorry to hear that, I know how frustrating it is to lose material. I had some difficulty with the Privet that I pictured in Ynots nebari sticky but I think it will pull through. It was really only a practice plant to work on my root pruning skills. I also lost a nice Cork Elm and a Wisteria over the winter, and I recently gave up on a crappy little beech that was going nowhere.

I'm glad you took the time to let us know though, it may help others to know that not every piece of material works out. Sometimes I feel strangely relieved when I finally give up on something that is failing/dead.

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I just recieved a cork bark elm seedling that I will be growing out over the next few years and I hope to create a shohin to mame sized broom out of it because it has a nice straight trunk.
Sometimes I feel strangely relieved when I finally give up on something that is failing/dead.
I know exavtly how you feel. I have a juniper and a hemlock that I have no idea what I'm going to do with, well today I just placed the hemlock out in the garden because I'm sick of looking at it and didn't now what to do with it and the juniper I decided to airlayer off a couple branches but for some reason I just cant come around to do it and now its getting too late. I have that same feeling about it and I am very close to just throwing it away.

Tom

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”