gbhunter77

hinoki cypress

This is the plant I am working on...trying to any way. No branches have been cut. But the one at the very base will go in the spring and one of the branches that points straight at the viewer...its hard to se as it is actually a branch of a branch. Once I work up the curage to make some huge changes ill post more.
Last edited by gbhunter77 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/100/20111112160321.jpg/][img]https://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5117/20111112160321.jpg[/img][/url]

gbhunter77

Thank you so much for posting that upright. My tab just shows all the photos up right. I will post images of the 3 trees other than this one that I want to work on... the two black pines I'm afraid to touch I'm waiting for some dvd and books to come and the cypress.. :oops: I screwed up a while back but have an idea on how to still make it work.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hinoki cypress is known for these two things when used as bonsai material. #1 they require more water than most other conifers. They don't like to dry out.
#2 they do not back bud well. When pruned they will not bud out on the older bare wood. With that in mind - any bare wood that you have on your branches will always be there. This will have an affect on any future styling. They can still make wonderful bonsai.

Something to consider. The lowest branch, that you mention removing in the Spring, could be allowed to stay for these reasons. If you let it grow freely for a couple years it could serve as a 'sacrifice branch' to help thicken the lower part of the trunk. After that it could be removed entirely or partially broken and left as 'jin' with a driftwood effect. OR another option would be to let it grow into a joined-at-the-base second tree, wired upward like a 'mother/daughter' pairing. In this case the two trees get styled together and the additional foliage pads will help to cover some of the bare wood areas left from poor back budding problems.

Sprig is a long way off. Be patient. Take more pictures from different angles and from eye level, by placing the tree up on a stand. Study them this Winter and find some good pictures of Hinoki cypress. Try to find examples of mother/daughter tree photos to understand what I mean.

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”