constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I would not give up hope just yet. I think it is just having a hard time getting water and nutrients through the point of the graft. If it does die, you can just remove the branch and it may sprout new buds at that point like it did before.

Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

No I'm not giving up yet. That's why I made that little chamber, it's filled with damp moss I collected. I'm hoping that if I keep the branch from drying out a few adventitious buds will develop.

Norm

Kenshin14435

cascaded mind wrote:the cream pot does look a bit big
Sorry but I got to agree on this one.

K5

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

The only reason he has it in this pot is so it has room to grow. I'm not him so I can't be 100% sure but this is by no means the final pot. During the stages of developing a tree, the roots need room for growth. This is why the tree is in the pot that its in. I do the same thing and so do countless others.

Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Actually I purchased several pots that year online and when re-potting time arrived this one was the best fit at the time. Tom is correct though that a slightly over-sized pot can be beneficial during development. That is why I did not mind that it was aesthetically inappropriate.

This year I took a step backward and potted the tree in a broader but shallower container. I'm not sure what caused the loss of the branch. The bark around the lower graft never seemed to adhere to the graft. I am beginning to suspect that it was due to the over-sized hole I drilled to accommodate the newly budded shoot.

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Thats some bad news. I'd hope that theres a chance that when you remove the dead branch, buds might pop from the scar left behind.

Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,
I'd hope that theres a chance that when you remove the dead branch, buds might pop from the scar left behind.
That is my hope as well. In the past this tree has shown a strong tendency to bud at the location of previous scars. The only stumbling block will be trying to get the new branch to catch up with, and eventually overcome, the remaining one.
Thats some bad news.
I'm disappointed but it could be worse, the tree is still alive. I feel it is important to acknowledge our failures so that others here realize that such is part and parcel of bonsai.

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

The only stumbling block will be trying to get the new branch to catch up with, and eventually overcome, the remaining one.
That shouldn't be a problem it will just take time. When the upper branches reach the desired thickness and you cut them back, you will just let the bottom one go. I don't think it will set you back too much.

Tom

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

So how is it doing? Did the branch survive?

Tom

chio88

I so envy you. I really should get a bonzai for myself too. I didn't know that you need to be artistic too in growing them. It's a job well done! Hope I'll be able to grow one. :wink:

IndorBonsai

Finally finished reading all of this :)

I was wondering how the tree is doing now?

I ordered 2 starter chinese elm trees, so now I can get some experience growing them. One will live outside all year long and one inside.

This thread has been most helpful, I dident know these trees could be cut back so far.

Nice job Norm :clap:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jason,
I was wondering how the tree is doing now?
Unfortunately the past year has brought some setbacks for this tree. The first branch that never leafed out last year stayed that way and I cut it off. Everything seemed to going well with the second branch and by midsummer I felt I could sever it from the attachment point low on the trunk. By this time a full year had passed from the grafting work and the branch seemed secure but after I made the cut it only took a few days to realize that I had made a blunder. The branch soon turned brown, shrunk and became loose in the hole, it had never fused at all.

Now I am left with the leader and what was to be the back/third branch. The tree is healthy enough despite its annual bout of black spot fungus and I am hopeful that in the future I can still make a decent bonsai from this. I expect to get some buds from the scarred area of the two failed grafts. Chinese Elms back bud easily and are it is common to see new buds at old scar sites, so it is possible that I will still get branches at the location I wish.

This was my first attempt at thread grafting and although I am disappointed I think I learned a few things. They were obvious but sometimes it takes hands on experience to reinforce what, in hindsight, seems obvious later.

Norm

IndorBonsai

I really like the thread grafting idea, I could use it on a few of my trees.

I was wondering if removing about half the bark on the branch, where it passes through the trunk of the tree, might help it fuse better/faster. Kinda like air layering but instead of removing the bark all the way around the branch, just removing the bark on one side of the branch.

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”