mike1974
Newly Registered

My Bonsai Tree is dying!! I think

[/img][b] My mother has been bought a mistral bonsai tree at the start of last month for her birthday, already prepared from a shop. My mother never really held any interest for these plants, and so didnt have a clue how to care for it. There was a booklet attatched witch said spray the leaves with mist - but she missed out the part that said also water the soil bed too every 2-3 days in winter. Now she knows and I have started to water the bed and know it looks like the beautiful green leaves have shrivelled up and fell off - there are still leaves on the branches but they don't look very healthy. Will it die? - or is it going through some type of rest period? - or is it because we never moistened the soil bed?.. I hope it hasnt died - I would like to try and save it if I can! I have pictures uploaded but I do not know how to post them to this forum! Thanks Mike1974 (New to forum) ps. Hello everybody :)[/b][/url]

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

1: To post pictures go to photobucket, make an account, upload you photos on there, then get the 'URL' next to the picture and put the 'URL' button first then copy and paste the photo URL then another 'URL' button.

2: Make sure it has enough sun light and water it maybe 2-3 times a week. or more depends.

3: If you don't know if it needs watering, use a chop stick or wooden kitchen scewer and stick it in there. If some soil is still attached, water it later in the day or tomorrow morning.

4: I don't believe its dying but since you didn't water the bed but only misted the leaves, it might be okay since you started watering it now.

5: It needs to recover so water it and then put it in the sunlight. If its too cold outside put it by a window that gets a lot of sun or if you have a light system, you could use that. I don't believe you would have those light systems since you both are new to the growing of Bonsais. Please post a picture so I can help you more.

-Justin

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Mike,

I can't say that I had ever heard of this species so I had to look it up. Apparently what you refer to as Mistral is a hybrid of two different species of Metrosideros. You'll find more information by searching under that name. Please look here to verify that this is the plant in question.

https://www.oratianatives.co.nz/catalogue_item.php?manufacturers_id=8&products_id=17087

Perhaps this will help a little too.

https://www.bonsaiforbeginners.com/kermadec-pohutukawa.html

Unfortunately, after two weeks without water it may indeed be dead. The dry leaves will not likely recover so prepare yourself for that. Don't let it dry out again but don't keep it dripping wet either. A tree with no foliage will not transpire much water so don't water too frequently. When you do water do so thoroughly then wait.

Sorry I can't be of more help but apparently this species does not have a long history as bonsai.

Norm

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”