zewald

newest member of my family

Here's a Green Mound Juniper (J. Procumbens) that I bought early this spring, and I just love it, the trunk has an unfortunate bulge where the branches separate out, but I love the sweeping motion. Hope you do too.

[img]https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/ewzach/juniper%202/DSC00095.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/ewzach/juniper%202/DSC00096.jpg[/img]

the mug is there for size comparison. any and all comments are welcome
thanks.

JTred
Green Thumb

I like it, I think it has some potential. If it were mine I would hope for a branch on the outside of the curve on the left branch to establish a nice triangle and fill that hole. Good luck and keep us updated as it progresses.

luigonz

hello zewald
I love taking nursery stock Procumbens and turning into fancy trees!

it looks like you need to decide on which of the two larger branches will
be your leader, unless you are aiming for a semi cascade.

I would like to see it become a little more compact. Perhaps you could wire that straight branch on the right and maybe even later wire the larger branch on the right back towards the trunks direction.

I would even dare say to cut off the entire right branch from the bulge.
this would improve the movement of the tree.

I always make the mistake of cutting off too much foliage, from the start, and having the tree go into shock, but your juniper has promise!

Cheers

zewald

thanks a lot, guys. I'll keep you updated on my progress, but he's been through a lot since spring (SEVERE pruning and shaping, root pruning, move from the desert to the foothills near the ocean) so it won't be til next year some time that I really do anything other than keep the foliage compact.

by the way, check out my other post, and let me know what you think.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27447

Zach

TomM
Greener Thumb

Zach,
Nice juniper. If it was my tree I might also consider removing the branch on the right - it is a bit awkward. BUT I might just cut back to the small secondary branch (about half way) and then try to use that one with future wiring to counter the larger growth pattern on the left side.

But it's hard to know from these 2 pictures. You have it and can determine what is best. So keep us posted.

Thanx(z) for sharing (yeah I'm weird, no, not wired, just weird) LOL

zewald

TomM,

Haha, early riser huh? thanks for the input, I'll keep it in mind, like I said, it'll be a while, but I will definitely keep everyone posted.

Zach

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”