Earl K
Green Thumb

BEST-FIRST-BONSAI

I am curious as to which would be the best,low maintenance,first time tree for me to get. any pictures possibly , :mrgreen:

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Depends on whether or not you're planning on keeping it inside your home or outside. Inside, Ficus spp., Barbados Cherry, Grewia, are all nice, easy trees to work with. Outside, Juniperus horizontalis would work well in warmer climates, as well as Monterey Pine.

Earl K
Green Thumb

thanks kd. I want something for outside (by my garden,which is inside my pool enclosure). I think I will look into the monterey.have a good day

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Just so you know, there aren't many, if any, trained or in-training specimens available. Starter plants, as well, may be very difficult to come by. You only choice may be to grow from seed. Mexican pine, BTW, should also work in Florida. HOWEVER, pines are some of the most difficult trees to train and probably not beginner material, even if they are hardy and grow well in a given environment.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Earl K,

kdodds wrote:
HOWEVER, pines are some of the most difficult trees to train and probably not beginner material,
I agree completely especially if you are forced to grow from seed. This is a long and daunting process that is fraught with various pitfalls, I know. :?

There might be some good news though if you really want a Pine. I know of one grower who grows Black Pine in Lakeland FL. I don't know how that relates to your location. If you are more north than that you can probably grow them too. You will be able to obtain Black Pines in various stages of development but expect to pay for an established specimen that is already under training.

Norm

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”