GatorBeth
Newly Registered

Help me save my White Bird of Paradise!!!

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:21 am Post subject: Please Help My White Bird of Paradise!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Tampa (zone 9/10) and had a potted White Bird of Paradise by my pool. It was doing so well there that I pulled it from the pot it had rapidly outgrown, and placed it in the ground about 6 months ago. It has done fabulously ever since, until about a week and a half ago. All of a sudden, the leaves started turning yellow - then brown - from the outer fronds towards the inner ones. I can find no evidence of pests, either on the plant or in the soil. Any ideas? It's failing fast, and I'm afraid I'm going to lose this gorgeous, 5 foot tall plant! (as a side note - all of my other tropicals are doing great - so problems with any of my other palms or tropical shrubs...)

Help!!!

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Just an idea because I'm not sure what this White Bird of Paradise is but we once had roses planted next to our pool. They were doing wonderful then we noticed brown spots on them and they started to get in really bad shape. After a few days of trying to nurse them back to health we realized that we had a big pool party just a few days before they started looking bad. We were able to save them with washing them off really well and watering them quite a bit but we assumed it was from the chlorine water from the pool spashing on them in the heat of the day along with running a LOT of water down to the roots.

GatorBeth
Newly Registered

Thanks - that's a good idea. However, we moved it from near the pool when we put it in the ground. It's been well out of the splash zone for 6 months. :)

otnorot

Just an idea. Repot it in a different soil.
Bill

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”