Spotted
Cool Member

Hen and Chick Plants from Seed

I feel like I ask a lot of questions lately but I guess that's how I'll learn.

I have about 40 something hen and chick plants in my little wooden gardening box, out on out porch. The oldest hen and chick is giving it's grand fanaly of flowers. I was wondering when it was alright to take the seeds off of the plant, and how to go about starting other hen and chick plants from the seeds. Starting the seeds will probably be done indoors this winter and I do have a sunny window all picked out where I plan to start growing them.

I understand that it is probably easier to just take cuttings from the plants I have going, but I would like to get as many hen and chicks going as possible. I really enjoy having them.

Spotted
Cool Member

Just a little up date on my hen and chick plant. I took one of the many run offs to my best friends mother a few days ago, and made her day. In the first 15 minutes they were replanted in a much bigger pot and she had them next to a turtle statue in her garden.

As far as the seeds are concerned. I'm just now starting to collect them. The first blooms closest to the large stem have dried out completely and I've taken them inside.

I still am looking to see if there is a special technique to planting their seeds. If nothing else, I'll just put a few in the ground.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

My source (Sunset) says that Echeveria (Hen & Chicks) spreads "freely by offsets." No mention of seeds.

If you'd like to make a project of it, no one's going to stand in your way, but for guaranteed success, cuttings/offsets are the way to go. (This is true of most succulents, BTW.)

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Spotted
Cool Member

I think this will become a project in that case. I have been separating the hen and chicks, one giving a couple away, but mostly spreading out the forty something larger plants I had in a small area. Hoping that I can encourage more growth if they have more room. So far those are doing very well.

Thank you.

I suppose if I have any success, I will post it here, though I walked out today to discover some animal has munched on the seed pod, that I thought would be ready today. At least I have the first couple still.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”