Jo Christine
Newly Registered

Avocado & Fig Tree Container Growing

Just received a Haas avocado tree and Texas Fig. The temperatures here at from 30 deg in winter to 90/100 in summer. Don't know much about growing but trying to learn. Can I grow them in containers on my porch or inside? Thanks Jo
Jo

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've never tried it myself. I didn't garden when I lived in CA. But there is a dwarf variety of Haas avocado that can be grown in containers. Here's a web site with some information:

https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html

And here's a site with information about growing fig trees in containers:

https://www.italianfigtrees.com/blog/winter-care-for-fig-trees/

Jo Christine
Newly Registered

Thanks

thanks Kisel. Unfortunately the avocado tee is not a dwarf variety. I will check out the web sites you sent, thanks.
Jo

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hi, Jo. I'm not sure whether you ever saw my response to your message under Introductions?

=> Welcome to The Helpful Gardener.

If you know your Sunset gardening zone, I can enter here the recommendations Sunset gives for your zone w/regard to figs and avocadoes.

In certain zones, Sunset recommends planting these trees in containers and bringing them indoors during the winter, but in others, planting in the ground is recommended.

Look forward to hearing from you, either on the forum or by pm. I can figure out your Sunset zone if you let me know your *nearest* large-ish town/city and county.

This info will come from Sunset's Western Garden Book, designed to help gardeners in the western states and provinces: those which contain or are west of the Continental Divide. Many gardeners--including me--view the Sunset book as (almost) the Revealed Truth about plants and their needs. :) <=

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Jo Christine
Newly Registered

Cynthia, I did get your message. My internet was down last night so I am checking in from work. I am working 10 hour days for another month so not much time to play. The fig tree has some yellow leaves so I moved both trees into the sun. The avocado tree looks good.
I will check on that Western Sunset Book, thanks.
If worse comes to worse I will give the avocado tree to someone I know in a better climate. My husband knows two people here that have fig trees. I just don't know if I should plant the fig or keep it in a container so I can move it inside in the winter. Oh, what to do!
Jo

applestar
Mod

For what it's worth, when my brother was in college and was subletting a room, the owner of the apartment had a gigantic avocado tree in a gigantic planter (the kind usually reserved for courtyards and al fresco restaurants :wink: ) It filled the living room and touched the 12' ceiling.

Jo Christine
Newly Registered

Green thumb

Applestar, your brothers landlord must have an awesome green thumb. Tomorrow I am going to purchase two large pots and repot both the avocado and fig trees. So far since I moved them more in the sun they are doing OK. Wish me luck.
Jo

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”