R12

Earth Box Woes

I had used the earth box growing system a few years ago and grew fantastic tomatoes. Then I had 4years where my health wasn't too good and didn't use them. This year I has to travel to CA and got back on June 15. A week later I found a guy selling tomato plants, all the commercial place were long sold out. I got a kada (never heard of that one), a sausage tomato and 4 romas and 1 or 2 regular plants. When I got them home and ready to get them out of their little styrofoam cups for transplanting I found that I did not have any of the fabric covers that earthbox uses. So, I used 3 mil thick black garbage bags and tucked them in around the edges with a putty knife and they looked real good. Things progressed and a couple of the plants set blossoms but I noticed that the boxes were using very little water( you fill through a pipe that goes directly to the bottom of the box). The last time I used the boxes I remember how fast the water was used. You had to fill every day. Yesterday I noticed the leaves curling up on several plants so I removed the plastic and covered the soil with a permeable geo-textile fabric. Then I noticed on the package that the fabric wasn't UV resistant so I went out into the yard and removed enough bark mulch and brought it back to my boxes. This morning the plants look a little better. Any thoughts you may have will be welcome.

R12

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

The soil and roots need to breathe, covering the soil with black plastic smothers the plant and the beneficial microbes in the soil. You need an air/water permeable cover, or just using mulch will help the gas exchange needed. The only time I use black plastic is to solarize the soil, sterilizing it for a year to prepare an infected/infested bed for planting the following year. Then I have to compost the heck out of the soil and plop in a few earthworms to get things started again.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Glad I could help. You've probably discovered the tomato forum by now, almost too much info there, but worth the looking.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”