hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Wisteria can make a wonderful container plant

Is a pretty tough vine which is easy to train into a miniature tree form in a container. I think they look best in a shallow container. Here is one of mine.

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2186/2399864316_634aed2d22.jpg[/img]

minnesota_girl

Your wisteria looks great. I bought one just this year so I haven't seen it it bloom yet.

para_chan

That's a beautiful wisteria!

How big was it when you got it? I have a seedling that I'd like to grow as a container plant.

minnesota_girl

The longest branch is about 3 feet long. I have it on an arbor. Though the variety I bought is hardy in my zone (4) I plan on mulching it this fall. How well do they do in a container?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I have a fairly large wisteria vine growing up an oak tree. It makes a few volunteers that shoot up from the roots out from the parent vine. The one in the photo was dug up and transplanted to a post when about a foot tall. I have two of these that have been in containers for 10-12 years now. Will remove and prune the roots for the first time before next spring. Wisteria grows to match its container size in a pretty short time, so the above wisteria was repotted every year or two for the first several years.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”