Dottie
Newly Registered

Bell Pepper blossoms falling off

I have a bell pepper in a container that is shedding blossoms/early fruit. The blossoms are not brown or dessicated but look like small green peppers. We have been having a lot of rain, so I don't know if that what the problem is. Do the blossom set sprays work in these cases?
:cry:
Thanks.

pd

My experience of bell peppers is that they can shed the newly formed fruits if the growing medium bacomes too wet, too dry or the container is in a too shaded situation. Even potting on to a larger container when the fruits are forming can cause them to drop. This may be coupled with dryness because subsequent waterings can easily leave the original root ball dry unless watered slowly at the base of the stem. Also an overburden of fruits when grown in too small a container may cause shedding.

pd

Here is the image of a pepper I'm growng indoors. It produces many small fruits rather than the usual large ones.
I experienced the loss of many newly formed peppers when I potted on late, and also probably over watered. But lots left and more to come.

Click for better image.
[img]https://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/persamon/pepper.jpg[/img]

Dottie
Newly Registered

looks like the problem might be with too wet gorwing medium. I also moved the pot to a sunnier location. Keeping fingers crossed. This is the second year I am growing peppers, last year had small fruit, but tasted good. No fruit so far this year. pd, your pepper plant looks gorgeous!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”