Addicted

Help with my corn.

I bought 18 corn plants today,8 to 12 inches tall.They came in flats with three plants growing out of the same spot,all 18 are like that.Should I seperate them or just plant the bunches of three like they are?Any suggestions for containers and spacing,I do have a couple rubbermade totes around.

Also some of the leaves are yellowing,I heard that might be a nitrogen deficiancy,I Don't have the money for fertilizer this week is there anything I can do to help them for the time being?

Jason

cheshirekat

Wow. Sure didn't give people much time to respond. I'm sure people are busy in the growing season so they may not visit every topic.

I don't know anything about growing corn except that the squirrels here will eat them all up. They take up too much room just to have the squirrels eat them. If I had a bigger yard, I'd probably try again.

Maybe the leaves are yellow from overwatering. Corn loves fertilizer so the sooner you can get it the better I think. I don't know what else you can add to feed the corn in the interim.

Addicted

Wow. Sure didn't give people much time to respond. I'm sure people are busy in the growing season so they may not visit every topic.

I don't know anything about growing corn except that the squirrels here will eat them all up. They take up too much room just to have the squirrels eat them. If I had a bigger yard, I'd probably try again.

Maybe the leaves are yellow from overwatering. Corn loves fertilizer so the sooner you can get it the better I think. I don't know what else you can add to feed the corn in the interim.
I was just commenting on the GENERAL slowness of this forum,Look back at how many threads have no response!Thank you for your reply!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Yes to separating them, they grow much better in the ground but if you must grow in containers then as large or at least as deep as you can find,
Once you repot them the leaves will green up. You should not need to add extra fertiliser.
As for the forum being quiet you are the second person in as many days to have commented on not getting replies quickly enough. Not everyone on the forum can answer questions in every category and it takes time to provide an adequate answer to a question. Bear in mind no one is paid to give advice, we do it because we want to.
Try looking at the number of posts that ARE responded to rather than the ones that are not.
I do have a life outside of this forum as does everyone else.
You did post on a weekend which is when most of us spend time in our own gardens.
Impatience on the part of a poster makes me loath to respond in any way.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I've never even thought of doing corn in containers but, it's a novel idea as it is such a heavy feeder.

Gosh, now I have to think of the volumes of the pots..... I would say at least a 2 L better 3 or more post per corn. Keep them all in the same area as corn is winder pollinated.

Use really rich potting soil mixed the manure and compost and the corn should do great.

Plant it between 2 and 4 inches deep. Move towards the 4 inch mark. The roots do not grow down and move mainly laterally so, the deeper you have them the more root matter there will be anchoring the plants in the soil.

praying mantis
Cool Member

The line of this thread is fairly humorous to me.

I have loads of questions for the forum that I forget everytime I get to the computer.

Most of what I learn, I get from reading other peoples threads.

I hang out here alot lately and the same questions get asked over and over again. I marvel at the patience and clarity of help I see people getting throughout the forums.

Some threads get overlooked so I bump them or suggest where they could get the same information.

Not all of my topics get picked up. Same as in real life. heh

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Addicted wrote:I bought 18 corn plants today,8 to 12 inches tall.They came in flats with three plants growing out of the same spot,all 18 are like that.Should I seperate them or just plant the bunches of three like they are?Any suggestions for containers and spacing,I do have a couple rubbermade totes around.

Also some of the leaves are yellowing,I heard that might be a nitrogen deficiancy,I Don't have the money for fertilizer this week is there anything I can do to help them for the time being?
I've never grown corn in containers, but I have grown it in the ground. It's kind of traditional to plant 3 seeds together, just to make sure that at least one seed germinates and produces a healthy plant.

I would try to gently separate the seedlings and pot them separately. Good luck! I'd be interested to hear about your results! :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”