James282
Cool Member

hibiscus looking sad!

Hey everybody, I transplanted some hibiscus plants into some pots and placed them on my patio where they get sun nearly all day long. At first they were looking phenomenal, very healthy, dark green leaves...now some of the leaves are turning yellow and the green leaves even look like they are drooping a bit. One concern I have is that I planted them in pots that were too small...as sometimes when I water them the soil runs off the top and some of the roots become exposed. Another concern I have is that when I used the miracle grow fertilizer - even though it said burnout was impossible - that I over-fertilized. Any clue what might be going on here?

otnorot

James282 If you brought the plants from indoors to outdoors into full sun then that could be your problem. When transplanting only use a pot one size larger than the old pot. Instead of watering from the top put the pot in a container of water for 2 hours,
Bill

minnesota_girl

I prefer organic fertilizer that won't burn roots if you think that burning roots was part of the problem I suggest you switch. Were they inside before you transplanted them? It could have been the shock of being moved added on to the stress of being transplanted let alone a pot that was too small. Try a larger pot and keep it out of direct sun for a couple of days and slowly move it out into the sun. Try morning sun at first and slowly expose it to to afternoon sun. Research can always help, too. Google it.

https://www.google.com

James282
Cool Member

hey all, thanks for the replies. I am embarassed to say I posted about this on my first day as a member of the forum and asked a question without doing my research first. I think I posted that about a month ago, and since then my hibiscus have been totally fine. Thank you for taking your time!

James

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”