raedh
Newly Registered

Flowers Blooming Problem

I have Argyranthemum frutescens (Marguerite)
planted in container (1 Peat + 1 Garden Soil) on home roof full sun (morning till after noon) the problem I have that tthe flowering does not keep more than one week then its begin to deadhead, and the new blooming flowers are smaller than old one and some flower has not full bloom (missing head petals), whats wrong with my plant, and what I have to do?

L
Newly Registered

If you have lots of buds forming at the same time it could be that the plant doesn't have the energy to support them all and keep the flowers looking stunning, sometimes it is better to remove some of the buds so that the flowers you get will be better formed and longer lasting (its a case of quality not quantity). Producers of the flowers tend to remove all the buds but the head one so that they ensure a great flower when it comes out and then they let a few buds form to fill in when the main flower goes over but this keeps it looking stunning in the garden centers! :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

My experience with the plant is that that is normal flowering time, and the next batch of flowers coming in are your continuous color. This one is often kept as topiary as constant shearing increases flowering and handles deadheading (which refers to the act of cutting off spent flowers).

You should be deadheading as soon as a bloom goes a little past or the plant channels energy away from flowering to seed production (which, from the plants point of view, is the only reason it has flowers in the first place!). Chopping those seed heads off sends a message to the plant that it's seed production has failed, and it scrambles to make more...by flowering!

:flower:

HG

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”