produce pete

what size pot is ok for an artichoke plant? picture

what size pot is ok for an artichoke plant?

I have a real bad mole problem and they are tearing up my plants roots. so I have to dig them up and put them in a pot, its the only way to avoid the moles destruction! ...

so far I have been putting my artichoke plants in 3.5 gallon pots are those big enough? [img]https://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk257/shoalnervo/DSC02653.jpg[/img]

Maverick
Newly Registered

Any luck with the 3.5 gallon size? I'm looking for the same answer. :)

produce pete

I used a wire mesh so the underground critters could not completely destroy the plants, key word completely. those darn gophers or moles are finding there way inside a few wire meshes and are killing my plants. others they are just stunting them from growing..

[img]https://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk257/shoalnervo/206.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk257/shoalnervo/200.jpg[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The recommendations I've seen for placing wire vs. gophers/moles recommend hardware cloth underground. The wire fence you show has LARGE gaps for these critters (and rats) to get through.

Anyway, back to containers: I recently acquired a copy of The Bountiful Container, by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey. Although they list many vegetables and herbs and edible flowers (even some berries/fruit) which will prosper in containers, they do *not* list artichokes. (At least, not in the index or the alphabetical listing of veggies.)

Maybe artichokes in containers are suitable as ornamentals only? Just guessing here.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

produce pete

cynthia_h wrote:The recommendations I've seen for placing wire vs. gophers/moles recommend hardware cloth underground. The wire fence you show has LARGE gaps for these critters (and rats) to get through.

Anyway, back to containers: I recently acquired a copy of The Bountiful Container, by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey. Although they list many vegetables and herbs and edible flowers (even some berries/fruit) which will prosper in containers, they do *not* list artichokes. (At least, not in the index or the alphabetical listing of veggies.)

Maybe artichokes in containers are suitable as ornamentals only? Just guessing here.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

thats the fence wire dude not the wire that is under the ground......

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I've used that kind of fence wire myself, but I've also heard of people using it underground and then being shocked that animals can penetrate their "defense."

Glad to hear that you had something more substantial underground, but sorry that it's not doing the entire job. What a complete pain for you. :(

Cynthia

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”