collegechic

Watermelon

One of the things I really wanted to grow in my container Garden was Watermelon. I realized this may not work because Watermelon tends to sprawl and get really big, but I was hoping to let the vines grow around my balcony railing and just have small Watermelons. I got the biggest pot at the store for it and it seems to be doing well so far.

Right now I have four seedlings in one pot, they're all doing fine, but as they mature will this be too many?

Also, the cause for my main concern and me posting this is I've noticed some bugs lurking about. Ants lurking about my squash, but just a few stray ones.

But, when I shifted the Watermelon pot this morning there were a bunch of tiny bugs that were disturbed! They didn't look like ants to me, maybe baby ones, but they were very small and almost slightly silver in color. So perhaps larva of some sort? I'd take a picture but the concrete of my balcony is grey, and the bugs are small and slightly grey-ish so I don't think you'd be able to see them.

Are the bugs harmful to the plant? I've only noticed them in the Watermelon which is the only plant on the concrete. The rest are up on shelves.

How do I get rid of bugs in my squash and Watermelon?

Thanks so much for any help!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”