khabbab
Newly Registered

growing 3 vines in one big container

hello,

I have a cement container which is 3 feet long, 1 feet wide, and 1 feet deep. on one corner i have planted star jasmine, and in another its morning glory blue. Now i want to plant honeysuckle in the centre. Should i do it or i should place it in another pot?. If not, kindly suggest some fragrant vine which can be grown in this pot size.

The container gets a lots of sun, very hot summers (40 c+) in our region.

thanks,
Khabbab

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Honeysuckle can be invasive so as long as you realize that prepare, their roots roam, and of course you should have nutricous soil for any plant to prosper. I don't see a problem as long as you have proper drainage. You might want to plant some perennials to flow over the bare side.

https://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com

minnesota_girl

Maybe not honeysuckle in a container. They grow so fast. However I can't think of another fragrant vine. You could try the honeysuckle in a separate container where it won't take over and harm your other plants. What are they climbing on? Is there enough space for them to grow up?

Jess
Greener Thumb

I think you would have problems if you plant another vine in the same pot. The depth is the main problem for climbing plants. Most require a deep root run. 1ft is not enough so the two plants you have in there already will quickly fill the container.
Why not plant a faller instead. By that I mean something to creep over the edge of the container. Invariably ground cover plants do not have a deep rootrun and will only use the top few inches of the soil.
Knowing without doing is like plowing without sowing."

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Re: growing 3 vines in one big container

Try some red flower runner beans or a few sugar peas!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”