Lauraluvstomatoes

Watering Containers from Bottom??

Sorry, one more question. I have read about the virtues of watering containers from the bottom but . . . my tomatoes are in 5 gallon containers with the standard tray on the bottom. The top soil is dry and if I put all of the water in the bottom I don't think the root systems are developed enough to pull up to the seedlings (just planted over last two weekends . . . has been cold Indiana until recently). Anyway, does anyone have a recommendations? I have been soaking them until water comes out the bottom every other day (it is not very hot here yet . . . low 70s in day, coldish at night). Thank you

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Well, I got all excited about bottom-watering my seed starts several weeks ago.

Only two seeds out of a few dozen sprouted. :(

So I replanted the ones where I still had seeds (just yesterday) and they will be traditionally watered: checking with pinky finger (they're in cell packs and other little bitty containers) to see if they're dry, then watering with "precision" watering can.

Based on my admittedly limited BUT unfortunate experience, I say go ahead and do what you've always done, esp. since you're already working uphill with the "no containers" potting mix.

FWIW. My 2 cents' worth. YMMV. Etc. :wink:

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Jess
Greener Thumb

If you have planted small plants in big containers then watering from the bottom is not going to work. Either pot up progressively and water from the bottom or, as Cynthia said, use your finger until the plant has filled out the large pot and will take water from underneath.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”