Lauraluvstomatoes

Chemicals in Container Tomatoes - Help!

Just joined the forum and am sick that I used potting mix pre-made with fertilizer (bought a variety with different lengths of release 3-6-9 months only because I had two small boys with me who distracted me, it was not intentional). I have six pots (as big as they come at Lowe's . . . probably 5 gallons with an attached tray) with various tomatoes (Bush, Mr. Stripey, Brandywine, Early Girl). After I read the forum I went back to the bags and to see what I had used . . . now what? Can I still add the weekly fish emulsion or will it burn the tomatoes? What else can I do to "reverse" my chemical nightmare and "amend" the soil? I tried to buy organic soil but on the back of the bag it indicated that it was not intended for use in containers. I spent two weekends enjoying every minute of potting these tomatoes (even "companioned" with marigolds) and now feel like I blew it. Any insight on this would be much appreciated! Otherwise, I will try again next year! Thanks - Laura

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What kind of fertilizer is in the pre-made potting mix? Any idea why it's not recommended for containers?

There are some "weak," slow release organic compounds that your tomatoes can use, but let's not overdo whatever they're already dealing with.

Is there an NPK (nitrogen phosphorus potassium) trio of numbers anywhere on the bag? For example, 10-10-10 or 29-0-4 or 5-10-10? anything like that?

Good luck; those sound like yummy varieties!

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Lauraluvstomatoes

Cynthia - thank you so much for your insights to all of my posts! Once I accumulate some experience, I hope to be able to do the same.

My husband threw away the bags. In some pots I remember I used Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix (I copied contents of Miracle Gro site on what is in it below). The kind that said it was not for containers was Miracle Gro organic SOIL. Since I posted my question before, I think I have learned that soil can't go in pots because it is too dense and makes it hard for roots.

Now the big problem is that some are not flowering but some are (see my other posts under no blossoms and too much nitrogen).

The three numbers below don't make sense to me, but may to you! Thanks for your help!!

FROM MIRACLE GRO WEBSITE
Fertilizer Analysis
0.21 - 0.07 - 0.14
What are the ingredients in the Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix?
Our potting soils generally contain peat moss (the major component that is harvested from natural peat bogs), compost (the compost may contain animal manures, composted leaves, grass clippings, and/or composted bark), and perlite (white volcanic rocks used for drainage and soil texture). Some contain Osmocote fertilizer that look like small clear fluid-filled balls.
The Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix also contains composted hulls of coconuts to help absorb more water than regular potting soil. This is the Aqua Coir (pronounced "core") component of the soil.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”