wurzelgummidge

containers

should containers sit on a raised platform to increase drainage,say like a half to one inch of ground?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It's not necessary, but what you do want to do is make sure there is a screen or other "blockage" which permits water to exit the pot but prevents slugs/snails from entering through the drainage hole(s).

I find that a saucer is also useful to keep the water from just running away and the pot drying too soon.

I have a row of containers along the south side of the house/north side of driveway b/c it is the very best sun I can give them.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

wurzelgummidge

cynthia_h wrote:It's not necessary, but what you do want to do is make sure there is a screen or other "blockage" which permits water to exit the pot but prevents slugs/snails from entering through the drainage hole(s).

I find that a saucer is also useful to keep the water from just running away and the pot drying too soon.

I have a row of containers along the south side of the house/north side of driveway b/c it is the very best sun I can give them.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17
thanks that's what I thought after reading it somewhere at least about the dreaded slugs.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”