Mommagreen

What to plant in containers?

I have many rubber maid storage tubs to put to good use. I have my toms and peppers growing in pots. Those are growing well.

What kind of plants do you think will fare in these types of tubs? They are the big ones.

Where I am living the owners treat the ground with herbicides and we aren't allowed to have raised beds. Don't ask me why, they wont let us have them. It's sort of like a HOA.

So I am stuck with containers.

My idea list would be egg plants, zucchini, lettuce, brussle sprouts, small squash.

I already have a small cucumber growing and some one started some corn and I can't put them into the ground. Will those grow in containers?

Also I am thinking it will be easier on me because I am currently pregnant.

What do you think?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Brussles Sprouts get really big so, they won't work in containers. Everything else will though. Don't forget to put some holes in your container for drainage and use compost along with some potting soil I like to add manure as well.

imagardener2

Admitted I've only grown Brussels Sprouts a couple of times and it was in a multi acre garden, but the size of container she's talking about I would think she could easily accommodate at least 1 plant, if not 2. I have tropical hibiscus, brugmansias, honey locust, etc growing in my Rubber Maid tubs.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I grew Brussels sprouts once. Only once.

They were absolutely terrific, but...1) they were aphid magnets above and beyond believability and 2) I got only ONE stalk of 'sprouts for all my work.

Other vegetables will be more productive for the time you put into them.

I'm(NS)HO.

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

imagardener2

cynthia_h wrote:Other vegetables will be more productive for the time you put into them.
Exactly why I only grew them twice. :wink:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”