Spotted
Cool Member

Hen and chicks inside?

We’ve just moved into a new house this winter, and as the snow melted, we discovered that we had a garden, witch I am extremely excited about. There were three hen and chick plants hidden under a bunch of straw that had survived this winter, and I think the winter before, because I don't think the garden had been cared for at all last year. I love hen and chicks, so I bought more, of a different kind and planted them in a different area of the yard.

So far the ones that I bought are doing very well. There is one big hen plant, and that plant is surrounded by about 30 plants about half of it's size. Not to mention all of these little tiny buds that have popped up all over the place since I've planted it. My question is that, would it be possible to take one of the smaller plants, when it gets fully developed, and put it in a pot inside. I have plenty of windows so sun light is not a problem on the inside of the house.

If this is possible, how would I go about separating the hen and chicks without hurting them too much and any other advice that I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

Wait until the chick has a strong root system in place--I think I'd give it about a year to develop. ( That's personal preference, and waiting a full year may not be necessary. I like to wait, because Hens & Chicks have very shallow, small roots, so I give the chicks as much root system as they can grow. ) Snip the stem connecting the chick to the mother plant, and then pot up the baby.

I don't know what zone you're in, but if you like Sempervivens, you might enjoy Jovibarbas, too--they reproduce by throwing off little round "rollers", rather than chicks attached by a stem.

Spotted
Cool Member

Thank you. The Hen rosette is about five inches across. I purchased one of the larger varieties, though I'm thinking about purchasing other smaller varieties. The largest chic has a rosette that might be 3 inches across. I can't tell you people how closely I've been watching them compared to the rest of the plants. :P

Hmmmm…. I'll have to look up Sempervivens and Jovibarbas. We are in Michigan up here and winters can get harsh. My poor Aloe plant had to be moved on one of the harsher days of winter. Three of the leafy stalk things froze on our way to the house so it's not looking it's best any more, but it's survived. I do like the plants that tend to multiply or divide. I've got a spider plant as well. That one didn't have a problem with the move.

Again, Thank you.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”