gullvin
Newly Registered

Potted plant help

Hi all, a super novice but passionate outdoor gardening enthusiast here in Houston. We have a plumeria Rubra and Bougainvillea that are not doing so well. We repotted the Bougainvillea, along with a few others and this one plant hasn't done well. Used fertilizer and soil that was recommended at the time. We may have watered it too much.

The plumeria, suddenly got ill, no repotting was done. one of it's main branches broke (likely an animal or our dog) , and the whole plant really took a hit. I'm trying not to water it too much at the moment, as it looks fine. A few new leaves are starting to grow. The broken, now nearly dead branch has been left alone.

Please let me know what you suggest I do for both of these? I am sending a few pictures.
Attachments
IMG_9829.JPG
IMG_9827.JPG
IMG_9825.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Cut off the dead branch of the plumeria until you get to healthy tissue. The plant is looks like it might have white flies or thrips. Look under the leaves. It has a little sunburn. But if it is a frangipani, the leaves will fall for winter anyway so I would just not move the plant around so much so it can get used to the environment. I don't like to keep pots on a hard surface. They get too much reflective heat.

The bougie may be a goner. See if the twigs are still alive by seeing if they break easily or you can scrape a little of the bark to see if there is healthy tissue below.

Here's the thing with bougies. They are very tough almost weedy plants in the right environment, but they have a fibrous root system. You have to be very careful when you repot them. If you unpot a bougainvillea often the root ball will fall apart. This damages the fine roots. When repotting a bougainvillea you have to be very careful not to damage the root ball. The root ball can be trimmed, but you have to know what you are doing. If you do it properly the bougainvillea does not have any transplant shock. Bougies have a hard time coming back from transplant shock.

applestar
Mod

I’m wondering about those pots sitting directly on the patio surface. If the containers are not on “pot feet” or other risers like bricks, the drainage hole(s) are likely to be blocked and the pots would hold water after watering or rain?

gullvin
Newly Registered

I will raise the pots and cut the dead branch off the Plumeria. Bougies seem so resistant to all but transplantation. I'll give it a bit more time to see if it recovers from the shock. Thank you!

imafan26
Mod

Be careful not to over or under water stressed plants. They need less water because they don't have a lot of plant to support but they can't be totally dry either. Never fertilize a stressed plant. Wait until you see signs of life.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”