reith

Trying to revive underwatered Monstera deliciosa

Hi,

I'm trying to revive a Monstera deliciosa which is apparently under-watered. The problem is my cuttings never root and the cutting point become black and mushy. Therefore, I tried to avoid cutting and put the root system in the water, but plant doesn't seem to catch up.

A little background. I've had this plant for over two years now. It was three distinct cuts and each one had two leaves on. There were always some curly leaves, even when it was making new leaves. This picture is the plant probably at its best condition and red ovals shows leaning back leaves:

About two months ago, I got nervous of stopped growth and excessive droopy leaves. I picked out the plant to examine deep down bottom for a sign of being over-watered. To my surprise, I found out soil wasn't really wet (neither dry). I guessed the plant might been under-watered especially because more aerial had been coming out. Anyway, roots of one branch was harmed, id don't know why. I cut some leaves of that one and I saw surprisingly the leaves opened up nicely, even those leaves that were always curling (bottom right corner of the previous picture and is the leave marked with yellow oval) and those that has been bent to some extent that stem had serious wrinkles:

Unfortunately, those leaves didn't made roots. Maybe because they aren't young or healthy enough?. They are upright and rigid in water but after a while will become mushy at the contact point in water.

I tried watering more frequently the rest of plant, but it actually bent more. This time I put the whole root system in water, but while new cutting would catch up after several hours in water, this branch hasn't shown a perceptible change :

Roots don't seem quite dead to me, does it? What can I do for this plant?

Thanks for reading.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”