Southpaw
Newly Registered

Container gardening newbie with 2 questions

Hi, I'm a newbie to container gardening and I have 2 questions. I was given a penstemon currently in a 6in nursery pot. I want to put it in a decorative pot, but I'm not sure what size. Is a 10-12 inch pot too big? If so what should I plant with it? Another penstemon or something else?
My 2nd question is regarding succulents. Will they grow better in a round/square container or something more oblong like a trough?
I'm located in zone 9 Oregon
Thank you for your ideas.

imafan26
Mod

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything specific about penstemon, but in general take the plant out of the pot the pot and look at the roots. If the roots are starting to get potbound, pot it up. I usually allow for 1-2 years growth. Depending on how fast your plant grows that means one or two pot sizes larger. Decorative planters are fine as cache pots but not very good for keeping plants alive. They often don't have good drain holes, sometimes none at all. They look pretty, but not as functional as a plain nursery pot.

As for succulents the shape does not matter that much, it is more for aesthetics. Most succulents do not need a deep container, but they do need drainage and a media that drains very well. They do need a little fertilizer, but not much. Do not over pot succulents. They should just fit. Some succulents can be fast growers, but most cacti (all cacti are succulents, but all succulents are not cacti), are very slow growers so they should be in a pot that just fits. I prefer pots that breathe so I use cement or clay pots because they breathe. If I use plastic pots, I put extra holes in them and since I keep my plants outside, I don't use glazed decorative pots except when I am going to display a plant. I have other succulents that are truly air plants so they are just stuck in a fence or in a basket hanging out. Those can be watered daily, no problem.
Attachments
crown of thorns, dragonfruit, adenium, agave, hawarthia, echeveria, crassula are in pots but off in a corner by themselves.  Most of the pots are under 6 inches. I use cinder for media.
crown of thorns, dragonfruit, adenium, agave, hawarthia, echeveria, crassula are in pots but off in a corner by themselves. Most of the pots are under 6 inches. I use cinder for media.
pineapple is a bromeliad.  This is just standing on the ground it is not in the ground or in a pot. I feed and water it in the leaf axils (cups)
pineapple is a bromeliad. This is just standing on the ground it is not in the ground or in a pot. I feed and water it in the leaf axils (cups)

imafan26
Mod

Tillandsia and ananas on the fence. Succulent in a basket (I can't remember the name. I have true cacti in my entry that is normally out of the rain, unless the rain is blowing sideways. They are primarily in terra cotta pots in black cinder. The Hawarthia is in potting media. It can actually be outside with the other succulents. These get at least 4 hours of sun and good light all day. They are watered once a week and fertilized with osmocote. I have opuntia "bunny ears", barrel cactus (I think it is a ferrocactus), and a few other cacti and succulents like echeveria, aloe, agave that are not shown. I am not in the cactus and succulent society but my friends are. I can grow some succulents but I don't have the right micro climate to keep cacti alive well. It rains too much, so I only grow ones that can handle more water. The terra cotta and cement pots breathe and they are shallow so they dry faster than plastic (I can use plastic with a lot of holes in them). I don't use glazed pots as growing pots for anything, the few I have are only for temporary display like in an orchid show. I also have a small leaf jade (crassula) that is in the front yard that I am growing out to train as a bonsai. That can take more water as well. Right now it is in a nursery pot since it is still in training. Most succulents can handle more water if they drain well. Cacti will rot so they like a lot of light but not much water.
Attachments
20210616_071354r.jpg
20210616_071322r.jpg
20210616_071310r.jpg
20210616_070934r.jpg
20210616_070923r.jpg
20210616_070912r.jpg
20210616_070906r.jpg

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”