solea
Newly Registered

how to use ladybugs to eradicate mealybug infestation?

Hi everyone,

I have a screened patio that contains all my plants. Over the past few months I've been battling a recurring mealybug infestation. I've been using a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water to get rid of them and it works pretty well.

I've read that certain Ladybug species like to eat mealybugs and can be used to treat such an infestation. This idea is tempting, but I'm afraid of solving one problem by creating another. Since I have a confined area (a screened porch) I'm worried that will some how encourage the ladybugs to grow beyond control.

Has anyone had personal experience with this method? Additionally, what will happen to the ladybugs long term? Will they simply die off after enough time has passed?

Lastly, could I get a few recommendations of which ladybug species are best to use along with the name of a reputable website?

Any information/insight is greatly appreciated!

applestar
Mod

Glad to see you are already using the alcohol wiping method — I think that is very effective.

I am used to using ladybugs for aphid control but not as much for mealybug control. I tend to send the plant out in the garden for comprehensive attention by the natural team of predators. They are better at it than I am.

But it’s difficult to make a recommendation without knowing your location — you want to order from a reputable source that is geographically as close as you can find ...unless you are willing to pay for the premium overnight shipment. Weather conditions in the shipping route — too hot, too cold, can be an issue as well, though again, overnight 1 day shipment can overcome that since premium shipping could include temperature control. Also, currently, reliable shipment and delivery schedules can be spotty where coronavirus outbreaks are severe.

For mealybugs, your possible predators include Ladybugs, green lacewings, mealybug destroyer ladybeetles, assasinbugs, and minute pirate bugs... also certain species of predatory wasps (Generally speaking, ladybugs are by far the least expensive and probably most robust during shipment, though I admit to not having enough experience with others, but greenlacewings can be fairly affordable, too.

Screen enclosed space provides you with a good secure Environment. I can tell you ladybugs will die off without supplemental feed to support mating and egg laying to propagate the next generations. And they are master escape artists if they decide not to stay.

solea
Newly Registered

Hi applestar,

thank you very much for your reply and advice. I am living in Florida. I don't suppose you'd know any reputable sellers in the area?

I've also heard that ladybugs also eat spider mites. Based on your experience, is this true? If so, then I'll be kill two birds with one stone. I occasionally get a spider mite infestation and it would be great to have them in check as well.

Thanks again for your help!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”