reith

Japanese Aralia leaves and stem curling

Hi gardeneres,

I got this Aralia about two months ago:
good.jpg
I planted it in a ceramic container and put more soil on bare roots, and some tiny stones over them, things I now doubt was harmful. Anyway It been growing fast and developed a new leave on first week.

Couple of weeks later, I noticed it's attacked by spider mite. I tried to wipe webs out using water and alcohol and it seemed better, but leaves started to curl (just leaves, not stems).

Some time later, new leaves became dull and yellow. I noticed spider mites still exist and much stronger. This time I sprayed leaves, top and back, by Diazinon and this time got rid of spider mites. But, couple of days later, even stems started to bend:
later.jpg
I put it in shadow. Removed stones from soil's top, as I though it may them compacting soil and preventing air to reach into roots. Searched about issue and found people mostly suggesting to water. Top of soil was almost dry, so I watered, but it was much of soil so I didn't water very much. Couple of days later, after it wasn't any better (neither worse) I made holes inside soil, and removed about two inches of top soil. I guessed it may be suffocated by water and excess soil. Bottom soil is moist but not really wet, So I don't think its root is rotten.
now.jpg
For now, I'm out of idea. I just dig soil more and more and tighten stems so their tissues won't harm if it's going to get back to life.
soil.jpg
Is anything I can do?

Thanks

reith

I re-potted it and checked bottom soil and roots. Soil was a little moist and looked fine. Roots was fine too. The only strange thing I saw was two giant worms inside rootball. While these creatures are considered harmless, could it be them attacking roots? There wasn't any organic material in soil, so can it be they went hungry and ate roots?! I specially suspect it be the issue since there wasn't any worm in any other place but just in rootball. Any way, I repotted plant in smaller plastic container using same soil (just left worms in old container) and added rooting hormone, but after two days, the plant is still welting..

Big leaves are looking healthy (but curling).. If it's harmed roots, can I do anything for it?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”