ZosiaPlants
Newly Registered

Bumps on the stem of Hoya plant

Hi all,

My hoya plant (not sure what kind) has some strange bumps on the stem (see attached pictures). I was just wondering if I should be worried about these or if these are normal?

They only appear past a certain point, and the only pair of leaves past that point have a couple of brown spots on them (but only one or two, so I'm not sure if it's serious or not). These leaves also grew when it hasn't been as sunny, so I was wondering if that would have affected their growth rather than the bumps on the stem...

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Zosia
Attachments
hoya.jpg
hoya leaves.jpg
43103473_341875013054534_1480435764771684352_n.jpg
hoya bumps2.jpg
Hoya bumps.jpg

applestar
Mod

I think those are Proto-roots. They would be used to cling onto surfaces like tree bark or wall or rock crevices to climb onto and grow into roots if there is sufficient moisture. Vining plants often set down roots just before a leafnode / next set of leaves.

I’m thinking either the plant was used to getting more humidity and grew those, but are not getting as much humidity now, or else it wants more moisture and has grown these to look for it. It’s also possible it has suffered some root damage and is trying to compensate.

...I’m thinking it looks like it could use more light, too.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”