myra in texas
Newly Registered

hydrangea leaves turning lime green

I have 2 hydrangeas in pots from last year's cuttings and they are bushing out nicely, but the new leaves are bright lime green. I give them a bit of rose fertilizer and water regularly and have them in morning sun. Leaves look very healthy, but too bright and odd lime color. The soil ph is 6.0, as I'm trying for blue blooms next year. Advice, please. Thanks.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Can you post pictures? Normally, old blooms turn greenish and a light green or yellowing that keeps the leaf veins dark green is a sign of iron chlorosis... which requires amending the soil / potting soil with garden sulfur, aluminum sulfate or greensand. Of course, new leaves may also temporarily display other shades of green for a plethora of reasons but I am talking "small" leaves.. not sure if my definition of small is out of sync with yours. I also keep my small hydrangeas potted such that they got sun thru 11am only. Then I planted in the ground when cooler temps arrived in Sept.

But I am a little confused. Perhaps you can clarify. How did you know that the potting mix soil was 6? I usually only know this for the ones that are planted in the ground. Were you testing the potting mix soil? That type of reading in the ground would only be common in the acidic eastern part of the state.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”