Dave8532
Newly Registered

Fungus or insect larvae?

Flower Pot Fungus or Insect Eggs _1.JPG
Hello,
I'm fairly new to gardening and have a question about a recent (4 days ago) flower transplant into some store-bought flower trays. I purchased the flowers from a local nursery and planted them into a bed of Miracle-Gro Garden Soil, nothing else added other than rain water. I'm curious what this stuff is that is upon the top of the soil. The planters are on my front porch which faces west and only receives late afternoon sun.

I live in Eastern North Carolina near the coast. If anyone can identify this, I would greatly appreciate to know what it is and what to do to eliminate the problem. I'm thinking the obvious and safest thing to do would be to pull the plants and discard all traces of the current soil but if these are insect eggs, I think I might be able to salvage the soil and maybe just remove or (even) burn the eggs???

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments
Flower Pot Fungus or Insect Eggs _4.JPG
Flower Pot Fungus or Insect Eggs _3.JPG

applestar
Mod

Possibly slime mold or just ordinary deadwood fungal growth in the woody potting mix that is starting to develop fruiting bodies/mushrooms — both Harmless to the plant and humans unless you are allergic.

You could disturb the mycelia growth by stirring/raking but probably not entirely necessary....

Dave8532
Newly Registered

Whew, I thought I might be in for a long battle. That's good to hear that it's nothing to seriously worry about. I'll scrape it off and watch to see what happens.

Thank you applestar!
Dave

rolayla

I had it also. It went away after a week and never came back.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”