FutureGreenThumb

Gnats swarming container plants---HELP!

I have tiny little black flying insects...gnats? no-see-ums? that constantly swarm my container plants. Could they be doing damage to my plants? How do I get rid of them? What attracts them? (soil I assume). Do I need to repot my plants with new soil (afraid they've laid eggs). Should I cover the soil with river gravel to deter them? (I'd actually like to do this anyway, I think it looks nice with a couple of containers I have. Any advice on that?) Sorry for all the ?'s, but I need to know what to do to get rid of these buggers! Thanks!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Probably fungus gnats and that means you've probably been overwatering. I like BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) for control; should be able to find it at any good garden center. Follow up in two weeks to get the next hatch and then again whenever you see more, Could be fruit flies if they're fruiting plants...

FutureGreenThumb

I'll do that, thanks. They're around my impatience and crotus.....so no fruit flies.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No problem...

thisbattymom

I have this problem whenever I bring a plant from outside back indoors. Thanks for the advice. :wink:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”