nosurprise
Newly Registered

Training an indoor avocado tree

Does anyone have any knowhow for training a mature indoor avocado tree?

I planted this tree from the seed of a grocery store avocado about three years ago.
avo.jpg
avo2.jpg
I live in a cold climate so I keep this tree outside in summer and indoors over winter. I made the mistake (?) of topping it about a year and a half ago, when it reached its current height, hoping to prevent it from becoming enormous.

As you can see, it decided to grow all of its new branches from the top of the trunk! I love this tree and it's very healthy, but it does look a little absurd. :D It spans probably 4' wide, despite being only about 3' tall

Does anyone have any ideas on training this tree to grow new leaves and branches closer to the trunk, or generally get a more vertical look to it? I've been trying to cut back the outer leaves and new buds over the past year, hoping to encourage new leaf growth closer in, but it's pretty stubborn. It just wants to grow wider and wider!

applestar
Mod

Best way to get more side/new shoots to grow closer to the trunk is to weigh or pull/tie the end of the side branches down.

One easy way is to use bungee cords with plastic hooks and tie a wire or cord around the pot to hook the other end to, A bunch of new shoots will grow from the highest curve of the branch.

Once they grow a bit, you can choose which ones to keep and which to eliminate, and also where to cut off the branch.

I put mine outside in dappled shade during the summer months. This way, they have chance to grow closely spaced nodes.

During the winter, if you have to put them in less than ideal light, it should be cool location 50’s if possible. I use supplemental daylight fluorescent or cfl lights.

nosurprise
Newly Registered

Shoot that's a great idea applestar, thanks for the tip! I had pondered tying them upwards somehow, but downward makes much more sense.

The branches are already pretty solid and tree-like, but they should bend enough for that. I'll be trying that out this weekend. :)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I use to grow an avocado from seed every year about November. It would start growing roots and a plant about 2 months later. I put it in a 10" pot and had a nice size plant by April. I learned inside house plant is very sensitive to direct sunlight so I set it outside on north side of garage where I had to gradually let it get use to sunlight. Too much sun to quick would kill it. Once it was accustom to directly sunlight I planted it in the yard so it got direct sun all day. Avocado tree was 9 feet tall by October. It was always a wonderful tree about 5ft diameter 9 ft tall. First frost always killed it in Nov. I grew a new tree every year for several years they grow very fast outside. If you cut the top off and the end off of each limb 2 new limbs take there place. After those 2 limbs grow a few inches long cut off all the tip ends you get 2 more new limbs. Cut them again you get 2 more limbs. 1 limb will become 2 then 4 then 8 then 16 you can make it very bushy looking but it is still a tree it will still get about 9 ft tall in 1 summer. They are beautiful trees.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Avocados are fast growing trees: "Avocados have a fast growth rate, and can add 2 feet or more to their height in a single growing season." https://living.thebump.com/avocado-tree-height-9114.html

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”