TattedGoddess
Newly Registered

Calla lilies and mini roses **PLEASE HELP**

hi all. I grow a lot outdoors but am new to indoors besides orchids. My fiance ordered an indoor plant garden from proflowers for me it came with 2 calla lily plants and 2 mini rosebushes. I put the pot on my bar top counter because it gets good sunlight there. The next morning I went to my kitchen and noticed that a bunch of stems had fallen off of the calla lillies and the bottoms were slimy and some of the rose bush leaves had fallen off and the top of the stems were turning brown. I still hadn't watered the plants because the soil was moist still. I did notice that there were a ton of roots on the calla lily plants in the pot coming out of the top of the soil so I thought that maybe they need more room. So I found a square container that could fit all the plants and give it more room. I used miracle grow moisture control potting soil and transplanted the calla lillies and mini rosebushes into one bigger container with room for some growth. But still, the lillies are falling apart and the rosebushes have too. I have only put a small amount of water in this pot. I grow roses and veggies and all kinds of stuff outdoors but haven't ever had anything like this happen and am unsure what to do, if anything to save the plants. I sent pictures to proflowers and they sent me a new garden with 4 different kinds of plants but I only got those yesterday however they look yayyyy healthier than what I recieved before. Any help anyone could give me would be great! I'd really like to save them, if possible. I am also gonna try to post pics. I tried uploading but they are too big so I uploaded on photobucket. If they aren't working please let me know.
Image this was taken the morning after I got the plants.
Image this was taken yesterday, these stems had fallen off by the time I got home from work.
Image this was taken today. 8-17-17
Image this was taken today and is a pic of the replacement they sent, as you can see it looks soooo much healthier than the one I got before.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I really do appreciate it.

Holly

imafan26
Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum. I can't see any of your photos. Shrink your pictures and you will be able to upload them directly on the forum I had to print out the directions to do my test shrink.

The miniature rose can probably be grown outside with your other roses once it is acclimated. Calla lilies will grow in the cool shade. I don't grow things in the house because the cats dig out the plants and because my house is too dark and hot for most plants to do well. I had a nice begonia next to the frig overnight on the counter and it was dead in the morning. I finally figured out that the african violet which was supposed to be a good houseplant really preferred to be outside in my entry where it got a lot of light but no rain.

I think unless you have a house with a lot of windows and you keep them open so the air can circulate it is hard to keep houseplants. Orchids actually tolerate fairly low light levels but need good air circulation. The kitchen was probably not the best place to keep plants. About 18 inches from an east window with a sheer curtain and some good air flow would probably have been better. P.S. because orchids like humidity, they actually do well in a bathroom as long as you have a window open for ventilation and light.

TattedGoddess
Newly Registered

Thanks a ton. I have a bunch of windows and keep my back porch door open with just the screen shut most days. I will move them though. I have a little table by my living room windows. Fortunately my cat hasn't gotten into my flowers. He did it once as a baby but obviously didn't like the taste. Haha.
My concerns with outside is the heat index here in Savannah, Ga has been between 105-118 I have been taking the plants out in the early morning before the weather gets too nuts and it seems ti have helped the lillies a little because no stems fell off today. I will resize my pics and re put them up so you can see.

TattedGoddess
Newly Registered

Is it working now?
0815171529-1-1-292x538.jpg
0816171007c-234x416.jpg
0816171007c-234x416.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 10586 times
0815171529-1-1-292x538.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I have a hard time imagining it being that hot. It gets steamy here and feels hotter than it is, but it rarely goes above 103 degrees and I am usually a few degrees cooler (91 degrees) at my higher elevation.
It is cooler in my yard under the trees and that is where I keep most of the plants like the orchids that don't take direct sun and other shade plants. I have a shade bench, but I will have to work on it soon, most of it is down because of the weight of the neighbors plants on it. I did grow callas before, but my problem is that the snails eat it.
Amaryllis,gladiolus, agapanthus, and blood lilies fare a little better naturalized in the garden.

TattedGoddess
Newly Registered

It doesn't actually get to 113 degrees here but it gets like 95-98 and weather app says it feels like 113 or whatever it says that day with the humidity. I went ahead and tossed the first set of plants I got and transplanted my second batch into a big pot and put it right by my living room window and they are all doing good. Think I'm gonna move the mini rosebush to my back patio though, just to be safe. Did the pictures ever show? I have planted some Lilly bulbs and some hummingbird attracting flowers under my tree here, but not gonna add more to it because the sheer amount of weird bugs here in Georgia living in the dirt is driving me crazy. Haha

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”