Cosmos
Newly Registered

Mammy croton not thriving

I saved this croton from Lowe's in late January 2017 as it was in the clearance section (aka left to die section). As you can see in the pictures, they cut off a lot of its leaves and also the tops of the plant's two stems. I was hoping this plant would have some new growth but have not seen any in the past 6 months. I checked it this morning and saw that there are tiny green growths that looks like new leaf growth on the top of each stem next to where Lowe's had cut them. Is this the new growth I have been waiting for? Will this croton be forever this size or be able to grow taller?

This is my first croton; however, as you can see in the pics I have a lot of plants (in total I have over 50) and all of the other 10 plants I saved from Lowe's that day in January have done well and have had lots of new growth and all needed to be replanted because they out grew their pots. The croton has had zero new growth but has also never dropped any leaves. This plant is so small and was so stressed when I got it that I was afraid to repot it and cause it even more shock so I've been waiting it out. But should I repot it? Roots have started to come out of the bottom and when it is watered, the water flows quickly out of the pot. Thank you for any advice you guys can give me! This croton is so cute and I wanna make it as happy and healthy as I can.
Attachments
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Yeah, that's probably new growth starting. Sometimes plants will fake you out with the nubs, but I'd take that as a sign on my crotons. Crotons are ridiculously easy to grow if you are at least warm enough to be subtropical: Zone 9, maybe ten or eleven.

I'll even take cuttings at any time of the year... Any time. Even summer heat wave. Winter frost. When I'm bored or when I chance on a different looking variety.

They love sun, at least some. Indoors is not a great environment and they will not color up as well with indoor light unless you have some extraordinary lighting set up. One of mine is under a huge deciduous tree. The new growth is more yellow and green and ivory, but those same leaves will add more red once the leaf canopy reduces, either via hurricane or seasonal leaf drop. But still, outdoors in Florida shade is like being in full sun in the northern states, or at least Jersey up through Maine.

In the Caribbean, the original people often grew hedges of them around their villages. Some of those are still visible via aerial photos amidst dense jungle type vegetation. I've never seen them, but people studying the flora of the islands say it's so. No great utility, save beauty.

Cosmos
Newly Registered

Thank you!! I have it under grow lights next to my succulents and its also next to an eastern facing window and a southern facing sliding glass door so I'm hoping that is enough light but as you said, northeastern US (where I'm located) can't have them outside
:( I think I'm going to repot it soon and hope it starts growing a bit more!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”