JennyT
Newly Registered

Corn Plant (Dracaena Fragans) flowers Ti drop before opening

Please help!!!
My corn plant finally has flowers after 9 years in my care. I was very happy at first as I have been waiting for this moment in a very long time. However, the blooming stage doesn't seem to reach. The little Tis are now dropping off rather than opening.
Is there anyone experiencing this situation and What should I do now?

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Calling the buds Tis makes me wonder if we are talking about the same plant. Cordyline sp, Ti plant, does have a similar growth habit and vaguely similar flowering.

In either plant, blossom drop before they open is probably due to some adverse condition you are unwittingly providing. Like letting it get too dry, or maybe more intense sun than customary, or a drying wind. And, fertilizing while it's trying to blossom would also be contraindicated.

Can't help but give my experience with this as a houseplant. It grew a flower spike in my Florida room windows. Good light, great conditions. But every evening the fragrans part of the name insulted my hospitality by spewing a fetid onslaught that had me dragging it out doors while my cats wailed and my dogs cowered. And for a rather ugly raceme of forgettable greige florets.

Your mileage may vary. I still grow Draceana spp., but no D. fragrans at the moment. And they all remain outdoors, as do my Cordyline spp.

On the other hand, back then, I was still getting frequent migraines that were often triggered by scents or lights.

JennyT
Newly Registered

Hi thanrose,
You are right. I did put a very little liquid fertiliser once shortly after discovering the flower bud.
Thanks so much for your post.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”