parijata

Jasmine buds

For some reason my cape jasmine buds are not blooming. Please check the attached pictures. Those are just blooming a little like the picture, Just some white portion coming out then stops opening. It remains same like this for few days and then drop. Anybody can suggest me what should I do?
Attachments
this is the actual condition
this is the actual condition
IMG_20170711_103220.jpg
IMG_20170711_103152.jpg

parijata

ANYBODY CAN GIVE ME SUGGESTION?

applestar
Mod

I'm not very familiar with this plant so I was hoping someone else would answer, but the yellowed leaves concern me. Maybe overwatered? If dry, then possibly mites? However, when in bloom or fruit, most plants need more water than when they were just leaves....

That's all I can think of.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I don't know what it is either, but the yellowing leaves show a chlorosis, an overall yellowing. That often means not enough nitrogen, but the somewhat older yellowed leaves have somewhat pronounced green veining which may indicate manganese deficiency. Bud drop can be from either overwatering or underwatering. But also could be due to improper fertilization, extremes of heat and cold, and other things.

Parijata, don't know where you are. If you were in British Columbia Canada, I'd have a different answer than if you were in Madagascar or Christchurch. I'm guessing Southwestern Asia, hot, probably humid.

parijata

Hello
thanrose first of all thanks for your reply. Actually I am from India (South-East region). This is a crape jasmine plant ( Tabernaemontana divaricata ). Can you please suggest. The buds are not opening at all.

parijata

Hello
applestar first of all thanks for your reply. Actually I am from India (South-East region). This is a crape jasmine plant ( Tabernaemontana divaricata ). Can you please suggest. The buds are not opening at all.

imafan26
Mod

The leaves are chloritic. and the plant looks like it is in a 1 gallon pot. Up pot to a larger size pot and use a good potting soil and extra drainage. It likes a moist sandy loam. Give it an acidic fertilizer like MG or rose and azalea food that contains micronutrients especially iron.
There are a few flowers with similar names and similar fragrant white flowers.
cape jasmine is really a gardenia and an acid loving plant. It blooms on new wood in Spring and summer.
Crepe jasmine is not a jasmine at all and is in the Apocynaceae family related to plumeria and has milky sap.
True jasmine, like jasmine sambac are shrubs that bloom mostly in late spring and summer and are peaking now.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Crepe Jasmine Plants: Tips On Growing Crepe Jasmine https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orname ... asmine.htm
Hawaii publication on Pikake, Jasmine Sambac.
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/of-29.pdf

While these plants have similar names and are fragrant, they come from very different families. What they do have in common is that they like either full sun to partial shade. They need a well drained but evenly moist soil and do better in slightly acidic soil. In alkaline conditions, they become chloritic. They need regular fertilizer and micronutrients. They bloom best on new wood so healthy plants should be pruned in late spring and fed for peak summer bloom. They have a shrub/vine rangy habit.

Your soil looks heavy and a little too wet. If you repot and don't have access to good potting soil. Plant in 50% cinders or sand and if you can get peat moss or coir it will be better than clay soil. If heavy clay is all you have access to, you will need to be very careful not to overwater. Get a pot that breathes better so it will dry faster. A pot from unglazed clay, terra cotta, or even cement. If all you have is plastic, put a lot more holes in the bottom and the sides of the pot so it will dry out better.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”