roseycheeks
Green Thumb

spider plants

I have a small spider plant in a pot w/o holes, I would like to transplant it into a pot with holes. Can someone tell me how to do it so it does the least damage to the plant? Any help would be appreciated.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Throw it down and run? Okay, that would work for me though.

You know what the roots are like? There are these fat fleshy translucent white fingers of tubers and then the regular roots that are also a bit juicy. When you transplant, the entire thing may hang together, in which case you'd want to loosen the roots up a bit and drape them over a mound in the bottom of the new pot, then scoop in more soil just to cover the tubers and roots. Or not. Believe me, they'll find soil and burrow in it.

Let's say there's some extreme duress, the pot smashes to the ground spilling soil and roots and leaves, and then a herd of wild logging trucks roll over it. Then just pick the pieces where a bit of green is still attached to some of those fleshy roots and plant that. Or just sweep it all onto a compost pile and give it a week or so to root lots of little plants.

You do mean Chlorophytum comosum, the stripey green and ivory long leaf and runners with small white flowers, and not Cleome hassleriana, the spider flower with rank smell and beautiful large heads of pink to purple to white flowers, right?

Good luck.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I went and repotted it, and found the roots and covered them with fresh soil, watered them good and set them on my desk under the florescent lamp. Should I use Miracle Grow in the next watering?

imafan26
Mod

You can fertize but it has a low fertilizer requirement so once in a while will be plenty. You will have to divide and remove the daughters from the pot periodically because it will get pot bound. It makes a good house plant. Along with diffenbachia, and cast iron plant, it is one of the most forgiving of abuse. It does like good light though.

Ksk
Cool Member

When pot bound you can take a clean kitchen knife and cut the root mass in half if you want two plants. These guys are hard to kill.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

100_3018.JPG
It is not big enough to produce babies yet, I repotted it and it looks like it was a successful transplanting. The plant is on my computer desk under a flourscent lamp, I could put it by the window, but the others died because I forgot about it there. So I will keep you up on the little spider plants progress. Thanks everyone for the great advice and help, I am thinking of trying to find a cast iron plant, never heard of that before.

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

If you can get it its own little desk lamp with some variation of fake sunlight coming out of it, you should be fine. A good dose of the real stuff would be good as often as you can remember.

Good luck with it

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”