ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Looking for Help Finding a Particular Container

Have been googling et al for a while with no success, so I thought I would ask for some help.

Trying to find some rectangular, reasonably thick walled (1/8" or thicker), PVC containers in the 12 to 18 gallon range.

Want to use PVC because I plan on doing a bit of plumbing which would be easiest if I could just drill holes and cement in pipe and not have to use bulkheads.

GOAL:
  • a dozen or so SIP's all sharing a common reservoir which would not require manual watering.
  • a "pickle barrel" as a primary reservoir with rain water collection and a garden hose with a float water valve to turn on an off the water as back up.
  • a 'closed' system having the reservoir refill the first SIP, overflow going to the next SIP and the last SIP draining back into the reservoir.

Albert_136

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-FG221 ... 3RNN3FHTK4

Like this perhaps? may not be PVC but seems to behave much the same in my wife's fish tank filtering apparatus.

I always start my searches at Amazon to get a name and a picture even if I have no intention of buying there.

Allyn
Green Thumb

This sounds like an interesting project.

I know of these:
https://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/P113

They're sturdy, but a bit pricey for the quantity you're looking for.

ID jit
Green Thumb

Thanks for the links. Am trying to stay away from the "rubber made tote" kind of thing. Looking for something with a 1/8" wall thickness so I can just PVC pipe and PVC connectors directly through the containers and not have to deal with bulkhead fittings or grommets and irrigation hose.

It's a project I am welling to spend money on, IF I can find what will work well long term for me.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

How deep? I've got a few concrete mixing tubs that I use to water large pots of shrubs and trees. Bought them at Lowes. Unfortunately they aren't real deep, maybe 6 inches, maybe a little deeper.

Have you looked at this site?
https://www.flowerwindowboxes.com/PVC-P ... -s/114.htm
Terribly expensive but might be what you want.

applestar
Mod

Butterflylady bumped this thread, so I started thinking about it again. Did you ever find what you were looking for?
I think what you need to do is think about what you want, then look for ones that match at the manufacturer's website, then figure out ones that might be used for transportation of goods that require the containers to be single-use or periodically replaced.

Then those containers should be available relatively inexpensive new or available somewhere as disposables -- just like plastic and metal barrels and IBC (I think those are the initials?) totes. If you can find IBC tote that is about twice the volume you need, then you could cut them in half....

For plastic container manufacturers, this website is one that often comes up in a search -- what about this one

Schaefer Transtac™ Reusable Containers | U.S. Plastic Corp.
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... &catid=476

If buying new, I think you have to buy in pretty large bulk from these places? Then there is the shipping/freight costs. Not sure, never having done that before. Someone once mentioned buying a big lot from a place like this with a group. Another route might be to find some place that would place the order for you.

ID jit
Green Thumb

Thanks for the link. Am actually familiar with US plastics. They do sell small quantities to humans with what I have purcahsed which has been mostly type t and type h nylon tubing.

What I have found out is that what I was looking for is more at lab-ware tank kind of thing which would have thicker walls than shipping type containers.

Given that this project isn't going to be going on for a long time, I sort of stopped trying to upgrade and improve things and stopped looking at it long term.

Also did some rough pricing out of what I could find. Cost effective option was glassing over a conta

ID jit
Green Thumb

Thanks for the link. Am actually familiar with US plastics. They do sell small quantities to humans with what I have purcahsed which has been mostly type t and type h nylon tubing.

What I have found out is that what I was looking for is more at lab-ware tank kind of thing which would have thicker walls than shipping type containers.

Given that this project isn't going to be going on for a long time, I sort of stopped trying to upgrade and improve things and stopped looking at it long term.

Also did some rough pricing out of what I could find. Cost effective option was glassing over the inside of a single large container built out of PT 2x4's and 2x8's.

So much for the auto refill on the SIP's. I really liked the idea of attaching a garden hose (have a well), filing a drum and having the drum fill the SIPs. Was thinking about setting the drum up the be a tea brewer at the same time. Easy enough to power the whole thing on 12 volt DC air pump, small 12 volt gel cell and a solar battery recharger and just air lift the water from the drum to the SIP.

imafan26
Mod

I would have converted and Igloo for that task. You would have to find a pvc fitting that would fit the threaded spout.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”