shobhitjain
Newly Registered

Leaves turning brown and dying

Hello All,
I am a newbie to grow plants. Living in Tx, US. [/n]I am trying to grow few plants in pots. They started growing fine, but lately I see few leaves turn brown and die. New leaves do appear, but overall, the plant is not doing that great. (Pictures attached).
Can anyone please suggest what am I doing wrong?
Thank you SJ
Picture2.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm guessing too much sun. The one on the left is philodendron. Don't remember the name of the one on the right, but they are both common houseplants. Things that are used as houseplants are ones that can thrive with very little direct sun. If these are outdoors, they are likely getting more sun than they can handle. In TX, it wouldn't take much direct sun at all to be too much.

shobhitjain
Newly Registered

Thank you rainbowgardener. Appreciate your response. I will move them in shade.

imafan26
Mod

The plant on the right looks like a dracena. Maybe dracena massageana or corn plant. I don't see a lot of them that small. Both look like they were in a darker spot and were not hardened out to the light slow enough. The corn plant can take more light it just needs to be introduced gradually.
https://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/dracaena-fragrans

The other plant looks like pothos. It does look bleached out. It does like to be in the shade with good light
https://sosplantcare.com/pothos-care/

Both of these plants make good houseplants since they need good quality light but not direct light. In the tropics where I am these are outdoor plants on the shady (north side of the house) or underplanted beneath trees with dappled light.
Dracena, like ti plants can get very tall so they can bee a little weedy. Pothos leaves can become massive planted under trees. It will be more green and less variegated if light is limited. It is one of the few houseplants that will grow in a vase of water with a little fertilizer in it and all you have to really do it fill it before it gets dry. The vine will wend its way around the room.

shobhitjain
Newly Registered

Thank you imafan26 for the detailed explanation and the links. This is very helpful. Appreciate it!!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”