AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Indoor "Palm"s leaves yellow

I had my indoor palm from Ikea for a couple months now and just recently her leaves started to yellow and brown. I thought it was all ok until more and more of the palm started to turn yellow. I have also noticed small black dots on the yellow parts.

Can I save it? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pictures always help. But at a guess yellowing like that suggests over-watering: soil that is too heavy and holds on to too much water for too long and/or watering too frequently.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I think you are right, rainbowgardener! I have started watering her every time I water my money tree. And the soil looks quite dry to me but I poked my finger in and it's very wet!
I'm gonna not water it for a while until the soil dries out.
Is there a faster way to not let her die?
THANKS!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You might want to re-pot into better soil, perhaps with some sand mixed in. It would be good to take it out of the pot anyway and see what has been going on. Your container does have plenty of drainage holes, right?

If it hasn't been draining well, you could find very wet soil at the bottom with stinky stagnant water. And you could be getting root rot. Check the roots. They should be pale and firm. If they are black/brown, mushy, or smell bad, they are rotted. If some are healthy, you can trim off all the rotten ones and repot into good well drained soil. If it's all rotten, you probably need to trash it and start over.

Way more plants are killed with kindness than neglect. We all want to feel like we are taking lots of care of our plants. But I have had house plants that I only watered once a month.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”