ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Talk about a lazy garderer...

Just finished filling my SIPs with pretty much Mel's mix which I mixed up dry. It's a bit heavy on the compost but seems pretty good. Getting the stuff wet was more than I wanted to do today.

Result was hydrating enough of the mix to pack the well and seal up the edged and holes where the dry mix could pour through. Filled the containers to about 3/4 and mixed in a quart of vermicast on the top. Moved them all down to the garden to wait for the rain which is due in the day after tomorrow. My thinking is why mix the the dry mix up to get it hydrated when I can just let the soak out the rain and do their thing.

Have 2 heavy duty trash bags of dry mix left which seems about right to top them all off once the stuff is hydrated and it is time to add the fert strip and plant. Feel like I just put all my eggs in one basket with this strategy on hydrating the mix, but this is a lot less shovel&wheelbarrow time. Am also thinking that if I give the bulk of the mix time to hydrate and settle, then the final fill and plant will go a bit easier.

pow wow

You call all that being lazy? No, easier ways of accomplishing your work is smart in my books.

ID jit
Green Thumb

Perlite isn't floating up, so I am going to call it a win.

Still have to get the racks built for them. Actually wanted them on the racks before getting them wet. Given water is 8lb/gallon and the 8 containers are 12 gallons, than means the full container is going to be in the 80lb-90lb range when fully loaded, and I am not 30 any more or even 40 any more.

ID jit
Green Thumb

+3" of rain in the past few days and they still aren't full! Will be dragging out the hose this morning and cutting black plastic. Only get an hour or so before work to actually get things done this time of year.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”