Astro Wolf
Newly Registered

Worried about gnats!

Hello! I'm relatively new to growing plants since I'm still in a college-managed apartment. Last year I bought a cute little lavender plant that lead a rather rough life, unfortunately. First it was gnats, then it was fungus, and eventually it just gave up. I'm trying again, though! However, after the Great Gnat Invasion last year, I'm a bit worried!

I bought a bag of Miracle Gro potting mix today, but I've just been reading that Miracle Gro is infamous for its gnat problem! (I did use a Miracle Gro something-or-other last year, so that would explain the billions of bugs...) I have nightmares about bugs, so I'm afraid to even open this bag! Should I just return it (and if so, what brand should I look to replace it with?) or is there something I can do to ensure that any bugs inside are dead? My lavender plant is in one of those degradable planters, so it should be okay for a few days without being potted, which gives me some time to try and figure this out.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum, Astro!

I used to have bad gnat problems, until I began using a liquid, using the same thing that is in mosquito dunks, to kill their larvae, as it kills knat larvae, too. Here is a link to a previous post I made on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=71138&start=30

al3tte

Pepperhead, can you use that or mosquito bits, in/on soil for edible plants? Or do you just put it in standing water?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Lavender isn't the best suited for growing indoors. They just need so much sun that they don't make very good houseplants long term. They also don't do well with lots of moisture and miracle grow tends to retain moisture. If you had such an infestation of fungus gnats last time, then my guess would be that the lavender was being over-watered.

Since you already have the plant, it's definitely worth a shot! Is it possible to add some sand into the potting mix you've purchased to help the soil drain better? Does your pot have a hole in the bottom? If you have a spot for the plant in a Southern exposure window that's your best bet for getting it the light it needs. I'd also let the soil dry out pretty well between waterings.

You picked a tough one to start with so if the lavender doesn't make it, don't be entirely discouraged from growing houseplants! There are many tropical plants that are better suited for lower light conditions that you have inside.

I did grow a lavender plant inside for 6 months and it did okay in a big East facing window. It didn't bloom or anything, but stayed healthy looking. I eventually put it in the ground and it tripled in size and is the prettiest lavender in my garden! I wish I knew which variety it was.

Good luck!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”