zeeshan112
Cool Member

Green Fungus in Soil?

Hello guys

I have just started out with germinating lime tree in a container. Plants are doing good, but the surface of the soil in the container has developed green patches, what seems like fungus. I do not over-water the plant and it receives good sunlight too. I had recently scraped the green patches with the help of a spoon but they seem to keep coming back. What should I do?

applestar
Mod

Green patches are most likely mildew. Even though you said you don't overwater, I think it indicates too much nitrogen and too much moisture. A little bit of mildew on the soil won't hurt sturdy seedlings -- How long has it been since the seeds germinated? -- but lime being citrus will do better if you let the surface of the potting mix dry out a bit before watering. What kind of potting mix are you using? It should well draining and not hold moisture for too long.

Current condition may attract fungus gnats... so maybe fungus gnat preventive would work? Mildew comes back because the spores are already in the soil. You could try spraying with a bit of alcohol or diluted hydrogen peroxide. Sprinkling the soil surface with cinnamon might help, too. Don't get the peroxide or cinnamon on the plant foliage (rinse off right away if you do).

imafan26
Mod

Your potting mix must be staying wet or you don't have a lot of drainage material in the mix to keep it light. I have not seen green fungi, but here we do get algae growing in pots that have compacted soil, or have dense soil that does not dry out well. Lichen is rough, algae is smoother and sometimes a bit slimy.

Cure for either condition usually is to use a drier mix with more perlite and no compost in the mix and to water well but less frequently and do not let pot sit in a saucer full of water.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”